EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

Having the same issues. Keeps crashing have followed this thread and tried everything to no avail. 

Yep I’m having the same problem. Library on my documents. All updates done. Crashes continuously. Ready to change programs. 

I too was having issues with EndNote X7 ‘hanging’ in Sierra (10.12.4) last month.

I got in touch with Jay Nadler (CEO at Clarivate Analytics) via LinkedIn on 22nd Apr. to express my dissatisfaction with X7 on Sierra. Jay recommended the upgrade to X8 and support colleagues got in touch provided a free upgrade for me, which appeared to resolve the issue.

However, since upgrading to Sierra 10.12.5 this issue appears to have reappeared in EndNote X8. Now I ‘WannaCry’ for sure.

Clearly this is a pressing issue for the whole community.

I am a new Endnote mac user and am experiencing the same issue.  I followed the troubleshooting steps in this threat, and they have not fixed the problem.

I am a new Endnote mac user and am experiencing the same issue.  I followed the troubleshooting steps in this thread, and they have not fixed the problem.

1 Like

Has there been any progress on this issue? I’ve been experiencing the exact same problem. I want to give Endnote a fair chance and I’m sure Apple can share in the blame, but this issue needs resolved quickly.

Going to add my voice to the chorus of frustration here.

I am having the same issue. 

End note X8 (recently upgraded) persistently crashes when I click on references to view them.

Seems to happen with those that have PDF attachments, which are the majority of my 578 references.

I am running it on Macbook air Sierra 10.12.5.

I went through two technicians at my university and we attempted with no success the following:

1. uninstall then reinstall of the program

1. Rebuild of my library - which for some reason crashed at when it reached reference number 295

2. Creation of a new account profile

Interestingly my library, which I presumed had become corrupted somehow is not the issue as the senior tech consultant imported it to his Windows PC and there were no issues for him.

This needs to fixed soon as I am in the middle of writing my thesis and this has seriously slowed down my work flow.

A POSSIBLE FIX!

Getting help from Crandon services (here in Australia) has helped me a great deal.

I had to rename all my PDF’s first. A crash may occur if the PDF file name is very long. Do this using the references menu, file attachments, rename PDF’s - you can select multiple references at once. 

I then had to also search for any large PDF files in my End note library folder as a crash may occur with files that are too large. Any larger than 5MB I have now removed from the library into a folder on my hard drive.

In the testing phase now, but it seems greatly improved from before.

Consultant suggested making note of any reference that crashes, and taking out the PDF’s attached to move them into a folder on the hard drive for easy access if needed.

I too am having the exact same issue! I tried all the above steps, to no avail. This is REALLY slowing down my writing progress, and I am considering switching programs.

EndNote, please fix this ASAP!!!

Can you access support services through your institution? The fellow from Crandon was very helpful for my issue.

I have also been having similar issues was well. 

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! I have the same problem, using Macbook Air with Sierra 10.12.5. EndNote crashes at least 10 times a day. Most of the time I did not even do anything except from clicking on a reference. HELP!

Just another user having what appears to be the exact same problem!

This all started for me when I updgraded my Macbook Pro to the Sierra OS. Prior to this Endnote had no issues at all despite my library containing close to 2000 references, many of them quite large PDF documents. 

Some notes:

Crashes appear to occur at random. They may happen an hour into me opening Endnote, or in the first few minutes. Oftentimes, endnote will simply be open in the background and when I go to insert a reference I will find that it has hung (pinwheel of death)

The only way to get Endnote working again is to force close and reopen. 

Crashes happen for me typically anywhere between 5 and 15 times per day. This is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. Seriously thinking of moving to a new referencing platform. 

Please help!!!

Same problem here even after X8.0.1 update!

This is ridiculous! I was already annoyed with Endnote after the iPad app kept making duplicates aof all my references. Now I have to buy X8 because I updated to macOS Sierra but all I get in return is a buggy useless program.

I dont want to change to Mendley, but if the attitude of Endnote does not change I will seriously have to consider.

I am having the same problem soon after an update, my endnote now is basically useless, everytime I use it it crashes both Endnotes and Word

any suggestion?

Likewise, I’ve been having this problem for months - multiple crashes during different actions. Running Endnote X7.7.1 on Mac Air 10.12.5. I had this problem on my previous OS also. 

Has anyone had any experience using Mendeley or other programs with Mac successfully? I like(d) Endnote but it’s impossible to work with. Thanks. 

LIkewise, it’s been going on for months, even on my previous OS version (currently on 10.12.5). 

Has anyone had good experiences using other programs like Mendeley? I can’t work like this anymore and it doesn’t seem like Endnote is making any progress fixing this. 

I have the same problem with Endnote X8 on Mac during the last months and have been in contact with technical support at Clarivate Analytics since the beginning of May. We have tried a lot of different solutions but all of them end ut with Endnote chrashes now and then. The first explanation for the support was that my library is corrupt, but since I’m not alone with the problem I think that it is something else.

/Lars

Okay this is it! Before it only crashed once a day now it crashes almost instantly after opening!

The ignorance and neglect by Endnote regarding this major issue is just mind-boggling. Its not only a nuisance but the program become useless.

I’ve lost my patience and I will move to an other reference manager. I won’t recommend Endnote to anyone anymore!

I have also been having this problem (hangs almost immediately on open, before would hang during the sync process randomly, but almost daily) fairly consistently on X7, then X8, then X8.0.1 and before and after the most recent Sierra update on 2 machines. I had started using the same library on my Parallels without any obvious issues, which remains my backup plan.

It’s now been working for the past 24hr, though I’m afraid I could get a pinwheel at any moment. This requires you to already be synched to the web and will overwrite your “date modified” field, which was one way I had kept things organized, but whatever, I couldn’t do work at all as it was. It sounds like some people have tried variants of this, so YMMV.

Here’s what I did:

Force quit Endnote if it’s hung

Restart computer

move enl file and data folder to the trash (i actually zipped a copy first, but not necessary) point is to “hide” the file so endnote won’t try to open it

Open Endnote

Go to preferences:

Turn off automatic sync

Switch option to “do nothing” on open (rather than open the library)

Create a new library

Sync it 

Wait for everything to get downloaded (I did this on 2 computers and, on each, something seemed to hang along the way, but a force quit got things back on track)

Get back to work with fingers crossed! I might turn the auto sync back on, because I don’t know if that was actually a problem. that was when it would pinwheel, though

TL;DR: try this if already synched: turn off autosync, delete local library, rebuild from endnoteweb