Endnote Online-Duplicated Entries in Bibliography (Sometimes)

I’m a Mac OS X user and using CWYW for Word for Mac (version 15.33, docx format). I keep two Word files for my thesis Bib: one is a test file so that I can see how the reference looks in the Bib in a test file before I insert it into my thesis Bib. When I edit a reference in Endnote Online (because I see a problem such as page range missing), and I retest, I see the reference inserts correctly in the Bib list and the edits I made are reflected in my test file.

But the reference will duplicate or triplicate in the Bib my thesis file. I have tried deleting the reference from the reference list and from the trash, but the problem still occurs. Endnote online is picking up an edited version and assuming it’s distinct from the reference in the list. If I made two edits, and a deletion, I’ll get three entries in the Bib.

So, I get triplicated entries like this only in my thesis file, but not in my test file. In there, only one entry is listed.

Amirkhanyan, A., Hyun, K. and Lambright, K. (2010a) ‘Do relationships matter? Assessing the association between relationship design and contractor performance’, Public Performance & Management Review, 34(2), 189-220.

Amirkhanyan, A., Kim, H. and Lambright, K. (2010b) ‘Do Relationships Matter?: Assessing the Association Between Relationship Design and Contractor Performance’, Public Performance & Management Review, 34(2), 189-220.

Amirkhanyan, A., Kim, H. and Lambright, K. (2010c) ‘Do Relationships Matter?: Assessing the Association Between Relationship Design and Contractor Performance’, Public Performance & Management Review, 34(2), 189.

Any ideas how to fix this, and why it only occurs in some files?

PS - Apologies in advance. I posted this quesiotn in the wrong forum initially but I can’t delete it bc someone posted an answer. If an administartor could delete it, that would be appreciated. You may want to think about how to help new users navigate the site, since posting to the wrong area seems to be a recurring problem.

So I posted to the other forum (and there are warning posts but it is so full of junk over there. I can’t delete my post either, because you replied to it, LOL.  It won’t matter that your post is there too, just most of us don’t follow because it generates too many spam posts.  And I would hesitate to make a big deal, in fear we pull them over here, which is already happening to some extent, anyway!   

Over there I said " What if you try ‘Convert to Unformatted Citations’ and then ‘Update Citations and Bibliography’ to see if some of these incorrect entries are in the word document’s traveling library?"

You say that didn’t work, so I would suggest going once thru the full cleanup (after converting to unformatted, remove all field codes (on a copy) and then try updating, in case there is a corruption in the document fields.  (more detailed steps are here)

If all else fails, I suggest you try to  contact Technical Support directly.

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US