Sitemap | EndNote
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
User

Endnote X1 file attachements error - "This URL(\\) could not be launched"

When I build the reference, I often insert the corresponding PDF file as a "relative link". This copies the PDF file to a local directory. Then I can share this reference database with my collegues. However, the endnote sometimes cannot find the PDF file, and it give an error message "This URL(\\) could not be launched"!

How to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Endnote X1 file attachements error - "This URL(\\) could not be launched"

Does this happen only to your colleagues, or to you as well?  Is it a permissions problem, or a difference in the way those directories are "named" in their environment?
(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
User

Thank you very much for your help. We have a volume license of the endnot, so it shouldn't be a permission problem.

The strange thing is that, sometimes after I close the database and reopen it again on the same computer, it cannot find the attached PDF anymore.

Is there any limitation on the length of the name of the PDF file?

Highlighted
Guru

In regard to - "Is there any limitation on the length of the name of the PDF file?" - EndNote does not have its own specific limit. However, the Windows operating system typically imposes a limit to the overall length of a file "path" to a maximum of 244-260 characters - depending on the exact conditions/version of the operating system. EndNote's attached files are impacted by this Windows limitation as are nearly all other files used on a Windows-based computer.

I would recommend moving the PDF / or the EndNote library (including .data folder) in question to a location that is not deeply nested in a set of folders and see if this resolves the issue.

Highlighted
Mentor

Yes, there must be.  I recently was helping someone attach PDFs and PDFs with very long names could not be dragged and dropped to the record.  We noticed that they were long names, and if we shortened them, they dragged and dropped fine.  Maybe that is the problem? 
(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
User

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your kindly help.

It maybe caused by too long name of the PDF file. However, the long name of the PDF was accepted by winXP. And when I insert the PDF file, the endnote accepted this PDF without any warning. But it cannot launch URL to reopen the PDF after I restart the database.

Maybe this can be solved in future?

Message Edited by yizhou on 06-18-2008 05:04 AM
Highlighted
User

I found the reason now. When insert PDF with long name, sometimes Endnote copies and cuts the file name to "...~1", but the URL is still using the full name.

Hope this bug can be fixed soon.

Highlighted
New User

Hi, i have the same problem like you

how do you solve it ?

i cannot open all my pdf attachment eventhough the file name is short

im using endnote x1 also, word 2007

i can launch txt, jpg, word, but not pdf, can anybody help me why ?

im using adobe acrobat for viewing pdf file

helppp plzzz

thank you in advance

Highlighted
New User

Hi everyone!

I not sure if this may help but is in option... I got the same problem with file attachments wend I move my library to another computer I can not open the attachment(pdf), after while I see like the endnote data base crate a temporal folder with the extension ".Data" inside that folder hold all are script links and pdf files.

I check the folder on my original library and get back to the one I transfer to another computer and I see that i have a lot of missing files. what I did i copy the missing files and pasted to the new one it works... also i did this on a file server of the company where I work and now every person inside the company can reach the database and pdf files

suerte amigos!Smiley Happy

Luis  

Highlighted
New User

We've just encountered the same problem with EndNote X and Adobe version 7. the Library had been copied accross to an Ipod and copied back. The PDF files could be opened directly, but the "this URL could not be launched" appeared if you tried to open directly from EndNote. The solution was to run a repair on Adobe Acrobat, which you can access from their web site.

Kirsty