Endnote X2 default setting?

I am a new user of X2 - windows. Every time I export a reference from an online database, for example Ebscohost, it classifies it as a Film or Broadcast reference, even though it is a journal. I have tried to make Journal be the default, but to no avail. Perhaps I am doing something in correctly? I know it only takes one keystroke to choose Journal, but it’s one keystroke that I would rather not have to do each time. Please help.  :smiley:

Nancy Males

I’ve had this happen with some of the Ebscohost records, while others transfer correctly to the Journal reference type. i suspect it has something to do with the Ebscohost filter. I am investigating which items mis-transfer, and will see if there is a common element to them.

I’ve had exactly the same problem with EndNote X2, accessing EbscoHost through my institution, Hood College. I checked and downloaded several journal articles from the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, and all of them came into EndNote as “Film”. This is despite the fact that my preferences had the default reference type set to “Journal Article”.

When this happens, is there any way to change all these references to “Journal Article” at once, or must one go through them one by one.

By the way, I remember something similar happening with a previous version of EndNote (X?) downloading all references as “Ancient Text”, and it was fixed with a patch to the version of EndNote that had the problem.

@dboucher wrote:

When this happens, is there any way to change all these references to “Journal Article” at once, or must one go through them one by one.

Yes, select them (coming in, they will be in that Connect group, later you can sort on Record Number and select the group that way, if you change your library preferences for library display to show the record number).  Make sure that only the references you want are showing (if you are certain there are no references in you library with the library as “Film” that you want to keep as films you don’t need to make sure only the ones you want to change are selected.)   Do an “Edit>change text”  select the “Reference Type” as the field, type in “Film” (without quotes) and then in the replace box “Journal Article”. 

It should tell you how many records the “Film” selection in the Reference Type field matches, are you sure you want to change them, and you say yes. 

As always, when doing global changes, you should make a copy (use the “send to” to compress it to a *.enlx) before starting.