Endnote X4/X5 and Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion?

We are currently investigating reports of this issue. For some Mountain Lion users experiencing connectivity issues, changing proxy settings on the machine have provided a workaround:

1. Open “System Preferences.”
  2. Open “Network” Preferences.
  3. For your active configuration, click “Advanced.”
  4. Click the “Proxies” tab.
  5. Uncheck both the “Auto Proxy Discovery” and “Automatic Proxy Configuration” settings.
  6. Click OK to close “Advanced.”
  7. Click Apply to update the settings.

If this does not work, you can also search PubMed directly and then import the results into EndNote by following the steps found here:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=82608

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Worked here!

THANK GOD, and thank you too! I was starting to get desperate, i’m in the middle of my theses!

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I am using word 2011 and endnote x5 and mountain lion (i have just got a macbook air, i used to use a pc so its all a bit new to me). endnote and word work ok, but word is a little slow, keyboard lagging a bit, and everytime i insert a citation endnote seems to format/go through all the references in my document. so, depending on the number of references in my document, it can take a long time to simply insert a citation. is there anything i can do to sort this out/speed the process up. i previously used word 2003 and x2 and was pleased with the way they worked together. any help/info much appreciated. i am submitting a phd thesis next month and would really like to get this sorted.

thanks in advance for your time if you read this

just to add, ive checked that endnote is opening in applications as per the suggestions above, and ive also added microsoft word cwyw option in customizer, and tried that network thing on the previous page of thsi thread. my issue is related to the tie its taking to insert teh citations. its owrking fine, but its formatting bibliography etc every time i insert citation

Can anyone report success or problems with EndNote X5 and Mountain Lion (on a new computer, not upgraded)?

Thanks.
Steve

I had the same problems working on my dissertation when there were just so many citations. I tried a few things to get it to stop and finally did, but can’t remember how I did it for sure. On the General tab of the Endnote CWYW Preferences window (found in the Word - - Tools - - EndNote menu) there is a box for “Enable instant formatting on new Word documents.” I have that turned off now, so that might be it, but I don’t think so. The next line below that box to "Turn off Word’s “Show Field codes instead of their values” also might be it, but that doesn’t ring a bell, either.

I believe the correct command you want to use is under the Word–Tools–Endnote menu, then select “Bibliography Settings.” On the “Instant Formatting” tab of this window, you want to turn instant formatting off by hitting the Turn Off button. This prevents your paper from updating every citation every time you enter a new one or rechecking every citation every time you add a new one or every 90 seconds (the default). 

Those are the only things I can think of. You might be better off looking for a thread that matches your question better, though, or starting a new one. This thread is not anywhere related to this topic, so nobody else might even think to respond to it here.

Dave

I am having this problem as well but my copy of Endnote X5 is running from the correct folder (Applications/Endnote X5).  I am running Mountain Lion.  Any advice on this?

My problem seems to be slightly different.  I am using X4 with Pages.  It was working fine, but I only use “Insert Endnote Citation.”  After upgrading to Mountain Lion, I can enter new references in Endnote, but I can no longer use the Insert Endnote Citation feature.  It just doesn’t work.  It doesn’t add the in text citation or add to the Bibliography either one.  Nothing.  At least it’s not crashing.  I read through the other comments and made sure Endnote was under applications.

Much appreciated.

Pam

Pam, I’m not having any trouble with Endnote X5 and Pages working together in Mountain Lion. The Insert EndNote Citation command is working fine and it creates the bibliography entry just as it did in Lion, so it all seems to be working the same. So I’m not having any trouble with Pages or with Word so far - knock wood!

Dave Hatfield

Thank you, Henry. I’m using X5, word 2008, and have lost CWYW, though I had it initially. Do you think the same processes will work in my case? I tried an unistall and re-install and that did nothing.

Also, when I open customizer, CWYW is not checked. I check, proceed and nothing changes. 

TIA,

Michael

I have the same issue with X5, Word 2011 and Moubtain Lion

I haven’t seen that anyone is having the same problem I am. I have a new MacBook Air, Mac OS 10.8.2 and MS Word 2011.

Whenever I try to insert a citation a separate window pops up to say “Formatting bibliography…” The progress bar goes about 1/4 of the way and just sits there. The citation remains in temporary format (with brackets {xxxxx} ) around it, and I can’t do anything in Word until I hit cancel. My bibliography is not formatted and the citation just remains in the temporary format.

Please please any help is greatly appreciated!

**Update**

The Cite While You Write option in customizer does not remain enabled even when I check the box. I enable CWYW through customizer, hit next etc. and close out. But once I go back into customizer the CWYW option is disabled (box is not checked). Any ideas on how to fix this?

First make sure that Word has at least Service Pack 1. In Word click on Word > About Word. The version must be 12.10 or higher before Word 2008 can load any commands. If the version 12.0.0 or 12.0.1 you can find the Office 2008 updates at http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.

Second make sure that Word knows where to look for its startup items. In Word click on Word > Preferences > File Locations > Startup. Click on “Modify” and set the location of Startup to /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Startup/Word. Click on OK to save and close the preferences and quit Word.

Finally make sure that the Cite While You Write bundle file is in place. In the Finder open the hard drive and go to /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/Startup/Word. Check to see if there is a file called “EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle.” If the bundle is in place you can open Word and check for the EndNote commands. If the bundle file is not in the Word folder you should be able to find a copy of “EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle” in /Applications/EndNote X5/Cite While You Write. You can copy and paste the file into the Word folder.

My problem is similar. Instant formatting is not working. When I select

Tools → EndNote X5 → Update Citations and Bibliography

Endnote displays a progress bar (Matching unformatted citations) that eventually fails stating " EndNote is not responding. Error = -1712"

I performed this test operation after closing both EndNote (15.0.0.7473) and Word version 14.2.4 (120824), then restarting word and inserting a single citation.

I am running a Late 2009 MBPro 17 w/8 Gb of RAM, under OSX 10.8.2

LIke all others, this is happening during a crippling deadline. I would appreciate a speedy response, of course.

I have exactly the same problem since the upgrade to 10.8.2 with X5

It seems to be becuase EndNote is forgetting the CWYW preferences - tick this on in customizer, it says it has applied the changes but if you go back into customizer they are still switched off.

Seems to be a 10.8.2/EndNote clash

Anyone found a solution?

I too am having all these problems with Endnote x5, Word 2011 and Mountain Lion. My problems consists of word freezing and have the following error messages: 1712 as well as 609. I have reinstalled Endnote x5, moved the file into the correct place for word 2011. I am also under a strict deadline as my dissertation is due in 3.5 weeks time.

I have phoned the free phone helpline, they fixed the problem albeit for only one day then the problems started all over again!

I just installed Endnote X6 for Mac on Lion 10.8.2 and Word 2011 and Word still crash due to Endnote !

Any solution? I have a thesis to write…

I am having problems.

Mac OS 10.8.2; EndNote X4; Word 14.2.4

Every time I try to use the EndNote toolbar, Word freezes. All functionality with EndNote as a standalone product is fine. Problem is when I try to use it within Word. 

This is really frustrating as I have a lot of work to do and I need this fuctionality.

Thomson Reuters, please respond with a fix ASAP. This is not good.

The problem seems to be in the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle 

could it have been corrupted?

can I download a fresh version?

please advise soonest…

I have similar configurations (Mac OS 10.8.2, MS Word 12.2.4 and EndNote X6) and I am also having problems with EndNote and MS Word 2011. I recenty updated to EndNote X6, but the problems began before the X6 upgrade. EndNote worked great for a long time until the last MS Office 2011 service pack update last month. After that update, EndNote X5 was sluggish, Word would crash and cite-while-you-write would not work. Only a reboot would fix the problems, but they would return after a while.

I have not done extensive testing, but I would bet that the last MS Word SP update did something that now makes EndNote non-functional some of the time. I am tempted to downgrade to the previous version of Word, but I wanted to see if the EndNote commuity are in agreement with me or if they have had similar experiences.

I just wanted everyone to know that since down grading to MS Office 14.2.3 from 14.2.4 I have had no issues with EndNote X6 or Word 2011. They both run fine and get along quite nicely. I really think the latest MS Office SP  update (14.2.4) change something to VBA that makes EndNote unhappy.

I will keep you posted if anything changes. But I suggest downgrading to Office 14.2.3 if you are having problems with EndNote X5 or X6 until MS fix the problems.