Endnote X7.5 doesn't connect to Word 2016

I’ve updated the software, but when I look in /Applications/Endnote X7/Cite While You Write, I see bundles for pages, Word 2008, and Word 2011, but not for Word 2016. When I run the Customizer, I see no error messages (I’ve done uninstall/reinstall several times). There are a bunch of error-looking messages in Console, but nothing I can interpret. My Endnote license is a university site license. Word 2011 continues to operate correctly with Endnote.

No Cite While You Write item appears in Word 2016’s tools menu, and in Endnote, the Cite While You Write items are all greyed out.

Suggestions?

You will want to try the following steps to install the tools for Word 2016.

To make the tools work with EndNote X7.5 or EndNote online and Word 2016 15.18 or later do the following:

1. EndNote X7.5 : Open EndNote, go to the EndNote X7 menu and choose “About EndNote X7” and verify that the about window shows  EndNote X7.5 (Bld 11052) or later. You can download  EndNote X7.5  Update here.
    EndNote online : You can download the latest EndNote online tools here.
  2. Open Word. In Word, click on the Word menu and select About Word. Make sure this reads at least version 15.19.1. If you do not have this version click on the Help menu and select Check for Updates. Follow the steps to update Word. If the Auto Update is not able to locate latest version for some reason, you can update manually. Please see this article from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3134241
  3. EndNote X7.5 : Close Word and go to EndNote. and go to the EndNote menu.
    EndNote online : Close word and install the tools using the installer, Drag the Cite While You Write folder to your applications folder then open that folder and run the CWYW_Installer file  found here. If it’s not working after proceed to the next set of instructions.
  4. Select “Customizer” from the EndNote menu.
  5. Check the box in front of the “Cite While You Write” option.
  6. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library.
  7. Then open  Word 2016  and check the Ribbon for the  EndNote tab. 

You should now see the EndNote  tab in the Ribbon of Word 2016. If you are not seeing the EndNote tab, follow these steps:

1. Close Word and EndNote.
  2. Open your hard drive and go to the following folder:
    EndNote X7 : Applications: EndNote X7: Cite While You Write
    EndNote online : Applications: Cite While You Write:Cite While You Write
          Copy the file “EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle” by highlighting the file and going to “Edit > Copy.”
  3. Go to the folder “[Hard Drive Name] : Library : Application Support : Microsoft : Office365 : User Content : Startup : Word” and paste the file, “Edit Paste.”
    Note: In non-English versions of Word, the folder named “Startup” may be called “Start” or be in the localized language of Word.
  4. Start Word, go to “Word > Preferences” and click on “File Locations.”
  5. If the Startup folder is set to any location, highlight “Startup” and click on “Reset.”
  6. Click “OK” and Quit Word.
  7. Start EndNote and then start Word.

Additional troubleshooting information :

When you first launch Microsoft Word 2016 after installing the EndNote X7.5 or the  EndNote online CWYW tools , you will see a dialog asking to Grant Access.

“EndNote needs access to the file named ‘com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote.plist’. Select this file to grant access.”

The file should already be selected in the correct location. Simply click Grant Access the first time and it should not prompt you again. This is due to Word 2016 being a “sandboxed application.”

Should there be any issue with this process and permission not getting properly granted, do the following:

1. Quit Word, Go to  the Go menu and hold down the option key and choose “Library” here, go to the containers folder and find  and remove the “com.microsoft.Word” folder
  2. Reboot and empty the Trash.
  3. Run the Customizer for EndNote X7  or the CWYW_Installer file for EndNote online to install the tools.

Tools are Present, but not responsive:
If you are seeing the EndNote X7 or EndNote tab in the ribbon, but the commands are not functional or only beep or do nothing when clicked, some settings may need to be reset. Do the following to resolve this:

1. Create a compressed backup of the library.
  2. Quit EndNote and Word.
  3. Hold down the “option” key on your keyboard and go to the “Go” Menu and choose “Library” then open the “Preferences” folder.
  4. Remove the “com.ThomsonResearchSoft.EndNote.plist” file.
  5. Browse to is the “[Hard Drive Name] : Library : Application Support : Microsoft : Office365 : User Content : Startup : Word” folder.
  6. Delete the “EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle” file.
  7. Launch EndNote X7.
  8. Run the Customizer to install the Cite While You Write tools. With EndNote online , run the CWYW_Installer in the Cite While You Write folder in applications.

Tools are Missing, but everything appears correctly configured:
If the issues persist, Try resetting your word preferences:

1. Quit EndNote, Word and any Microsoft application.
  2. Find and drag the Nomal.dotm template to your desktop.
  3. To access this folder, please click on the Go menu of your Finder and then press the “Option” key on your keyboard. Library should then appear as an option in the Go menu. Click this and proceed to Group Containers : UBF8T346G9.Office to find the Normal.dotm file.
  4. Rename this file Abnormal.old
  5. Look for any pre-2016 Normal templates on your computer. Drag them to the desktop and rename. The location would depend on the version of Word:
  • Word 2008 and 2011 : Click on the Go menu of your Finder and then press the “Option” key on your keyboard. Library should then appear as an option in the Go menu. Click this and proceed to Application Support:Microsoft:Office:User Templates to find the Normal.dotm file.
  • Word 2004:  Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Documents:Microsoft User Data.
  • Word X: Microsoft Office X:Templates.
  1. Remove or rename the following files/folders if they exist:
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library: Containers: com.microsoft.Word
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Word Settings (10)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Word Settings (11)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:com.Microsoft.Word.plist
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2011 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Empty the Trash.

To bookmark or send this article to a colleague, please use the following URL: http://endnote.com/kb/138936

I’ve had the same issue and followed the above steps which have worked each time I’ve gone through them, but endnote  keeps disappearing from the ribbon in word each time I close and restart it and so I have to go through the whole procedure again.

same issue with me

Hi, I have the same issue… Did you find a solution for it?

Hey, I have the same issue since yesterday, endnote keeps disappearing every time when I close and restart Word… Did you find a solution?

Hey, I have a same issue since yesterday, endnote keeps disappearing every time I close and restart Word. Did you find a solution for it? thanks

Hi there, I am struggling to install the CWYW plug-in for endnote online and following your instructions I cannot find the EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle in the download image, only bundles for 2008/2011.

Any idea where I can locate this bundle to use Endnote Online with Word 2016?

Cheers!

Hi 

I need urgent help with my EndNote library and its compatibility with Word 2016. 

I have a very big document (150p. with 180 references) and everytime I try to update the library, my word 2016 ( version 25.28) crashes and Word closes down. 

Additionally the CWYR options added a few references with () and otehrs with {} so that it probably cannot even recognize them all when I click for an update of the reference library.

It previously still managed to add new citations without updating the library and performing the selected reference style. But now I cannot even add another citation reference in the text with CWYR without Word crashing and closing completly. 

I have End Note X7.7.1. 

Please help me. 

Hi 

I need urgent help with my EndNote library and its compatibility with Word 2016. 

I have a very big document (150p. with 180 references) and everytime I try to update the library, my word 2016 ( version 25.28) crashes and Word closes down. 

Additionally the CWYR options added a few references with () and otehrs with {} so that it probably cannot even recognize them all when I click for an update of the reference library.

It previously still managed to add new citations without updating the library and performing the selected reference style. But now I cannot even add another citation reference in the text with CWYR without Word crashing and closing completly. 

I have End Note X7.7.1. 

Please help me. 

It is possible that your document has corrupt field codes in it.  We have a FAQ on our web site that gives the steps to remove all of the field codes and clean up the document.  You should first make a backup of your Word document and then follow the steps in the FAQ at:

http://endnote.com/kb/81143

I followed the follwoing instruction, but after the step 2, I’ve got the message, “The Customizer could not find Microsoft Word 2008, 2011 nor 2016 installed on this computer”. 

1. Select “Customizer” from the EndNote menu.
  2. Check the box in front of the “Cite While You Write” option.

I installed EndNote via my University software library, and I am not sure why it did not work. Any suggestion?

You may need to reinstall Word or Reset the Word Preferences.

Try resetting your word preferences:

1. Quit EndNote, Word and any Microsoft application.
  2. Find and drag the Nomal.dotm template to your desktop.
  3. To access this folder, please click on the Go menu of your Finder and then press the “Option” key on your keyboard. Library should then appear as an option in the Go menu. Click this and proceed to Group Containers : UBF8T346G9.Office : User Content : Templates to find the Normal.dotm file.
  4. Rename this file Abnormal.old
  5. Look for any pre-2016 Normal templates on your computer. Drag them to the desktop and rename. The location would depend on the version of Word:
  • Word 2008 and 2011 : Click on the Go menu of your Finder and then press the “Option” key on your keyboard. Library should then appear as an option in the Go menu. Click this and proceed to Application Support:Microsoft:Office:User Templates to find the Normal.dotm file.
  • Word 2004:  Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Documents:Microsoft User Data.
  • Word X: Microsoft Office X:Templates.
  1. Remove or rename the following files/folders if they exist:
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library: Containers: com.microsoft.Word
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Word Settings (10)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Word Settings (11)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:com.Microsoft.Word.plist
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2011 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
    Users:[your login name with the house icon]:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Empty the Trash.

Hi there 

Im hoping you can assist. installed word 2017 for mac and endnote x8.2 version. everything seems fine however when i’m on word trying to cite from end note it seems there is nothing on my library even when there are sources. When i click on customizer to try and install the cite while you write an error message appears stating customizer could not find word and when i try to locate it manualy it still cannot read it stating the item you picked does not seem to be in a microsoft instalation. 

How can I fix this?

regards; 

Pertunia

Please try all the steps at:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-X8-Mac-and-EndNote-online-Mac-CWYW-tools-in-Microsoft-Word-2016-Troubleshooting-guide?language=en_US

If you still cannot get the programs to work together properly then:

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Hello, 

did you manage to fix the problem? I have the same problem and I am writing my PhD thesis, so I relly need help.

Thanks.

Marina,

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US