Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New User

Re: Endnote X8 slowness problem ("lagging")

Same issue here - I don't have any PDFs attached, because I never trusted Endnote to perform as well with attachements than without. But still it laggs horribly!

Cleaning up the Term Lists had no effect.

Additionaly, I have noticed two minor issues that may be connected to the slowness problem:

- Almost everytime I start Endnote, an error message appears, saying: "This library is currently being used by someone else.  Try opening it again later". When hitting the OK button, the application starts nevertheless.

- References marked as read appear as unread when opening Endnote an other time

Library Name: 1-Diss-Bibliographie-2018-01-06.enl
Location: /Users/Eckstein/Documents/SUGUS/Publikationen/Dissertation/1-Diss-Bibliographie-2018-01-06.enl
Last Saved: Samstag, 6. Januar 2018 um 09:52:54 Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit
Records: 1'065
Custom Groups: 25
Reference Types Used: 17
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Book Section, Book, Web Page, Generic
File Attachments: 0
Figures: 0
Authors Term List: 0
Journals Term List: 0
Keywords Term List: 0

Ni
New User

macOS 10.13.2. Endnote X8 latest update. Only 608 entries, no pdf etc. Permanent lagging even when only clicking on an entry.

Library Name: XX.enl
Last Saved: Montag, 16. Oktober 2017 um 09:47:20 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
Records: 608
Custom Groups: 1
Reference Types Used: 6
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Book, Book Section, Thesis, Conference Proceedings
File Attachments: 0
Authors Term List: 432
Journals Term List: 197
Keywords Term List: 131

Highlighted
Ni
New User

Just seen that the first post is months old and apparently there has been done nothing. Is there a way to get the money back since they sold a broken program without being able to fix it?

New User

mac os 10.10.5, Endnote X8, exactly the same problem with a new library containing just one entry. I get the spinning rainbow wheel just by clicking on the one entry I have. Are there any fixes yet for this problem?

Regular

No news... no solution...

Visitor

macOS 10.13.3, Endnote X8.2. Unusable as is. After a short amount of time ANY activity causes the spinning beachball. One CPU pegged at 100%. Looks like there is a combination of issues. Poor software architecture, an activity that should NOT block the UI, and the underlying bug that causes the issue (memory leak and something spinning on a condition?). After some time the app crashes altogether. This is seriously amateur stuff, any first year CS student can do better than this.

Visitor

I would only add that I just upgraded from Endnote x7 to x8 today, and suddenly I am having the same lag issues as others describe. No issues with x7, but I was forced to upgrade as the last Word upgrade is not compatible with x7 even though I just bought x7 less than 6 months ago Smiley Sad

I am now preparing to revert back to the previous version of Word so I can continue to use Endnote x7 as I see that others have this problem and no fix is in sight. 

Contributor

I reported this months ago directly to tech support. All they did was blame Apple. I can blame Apple for a lot of things, but it's pretty inexcusable that a pricey piece of software like EndNote X8 can't be updated to make it usable again. I'm glad I only use EndNote to search for references and occasionally drop them into a paper; if I had to deal with this nonsense every day I'd have switched to another solution by now. Clearly Thomson Reuters has a history of not dealing with necessary fixes until too long a time has passed. We saw that with the release of Office365 in terms of EndNote compatibility and now this. I woudn't mind, except I reported it, tried the suggested fixes (none of which worked) and in the end all I got was a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Visitor

My Endnote was a forced upgrade, from a version I used without problem several years ago. Now I am using a machine that processes video at 60 frames a second, and endnote has to stop and think to save, to open, to sort. Spinning, spinning (i'm on a mac) spinning ball. 

Come on, please, this is a TEXT database. We aren't calculating the position of subatomic particles ten years from now.

I am using Endnote out of the box, with no styles, no syncing. I thought it would save me some time in formatting some references and here I am writing about its slowness. How sad is that?

Final straw came this afternoon when I tried to delete a duplicate reference. Pressed delete. Spinning ball appeared, for

a

l  o  n g    

t i m e.

Pressed delete again, and again for good measure. Duh, two references disappeared. No idea which two. Endnote has no undo under the Edit menu. 

For something that costs real money, this is a really sad excuse. I see that this has been going on for a long time with no real solution. 

New User

I upgraded from X7 to X8 a few days ago, the new version duplicated (very badly) many entries (but not all of them). When I delete an inappropriate duplicate (using the backspace key) I spend approximately 5 seconds watching the spinning wheel. And the slowing increases as I use Endnote

This is very disappointing and I am looking for alternative bibliography tools

Library Name: gagnevinpublis Copy2.enl
Location: /Users/gagnevin/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/gagnevinpublis.enlp/gagnevinpublis Copy2.enl
Last Saved: vendredi 20 avril 2018 à 12:48:55 heure d’été d’Europe centrale
Records: 128
Custom Groups: 4
Reference Types Used: 4
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Conference Proceedings, Book Section, Patent
File Attachments: 44
Authors Term List: 533
Journals Term List: 85
Keywords Term List: 381