Endnote compatibility with Office 2010

MS Office 2010 final version (RTM) is already available. Has any1 tested the compatibility issue of new Word 2010 (RTM) with Endnote? I need to decide whethe I would go for 2007 or 2010 urgently. Thx.

It doesn’t really matter.  The reason why it doesn’t matter is because if you buy Office 2007 now, you’re automatically eligible for a free Office 2010 upgrade.  Use Endnote X3 with Office 2007 until T.R. releases X4 which should be compatible with Office 2010.  At which point you can migrate your 07 installation to 10. 

Hi. I have Office 2010 32-bit RTM on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. EndNote X3 does not seem to be compatible with Office 2010 and would crash any office application if you try to use EndNote.

It does matter. If you buy Office 2010 next month and there is still no patch for the problem and/or X4 is not out, then bye-bye your dissertation. Furthermore, what about people who happen to be lucky to get Office RTM now?

Quote: “It does matter. If you buy Office 2010 next month and there is still no patch for the problem and/or X4 is not out, then bye-bye your dissertation. Furthermore, what about people who happen to be lucky to get Office RTM now?”

I gather you didn’t read the previous response which was use Office 2007 AND Endnote X3 until such time X4 is released and confirmed to work as advertised.  Moreover, Office 2010 hasn’t  been released to public retail; this will happen in June_. _ If I needed Endnote, I would not use Office 2010 until a compatible Endnote is ready and has been tested.  Furthermore, I would never write my dissertation on pre-release or just released software.  In fact, I wrote my dissertation using Office 2007.  Office 2010 was only used in a sandbox environment for beta testing.

Quote: “I gather you didn’t read the previous response which was use Office 2007 AND Endnote X3 until such time X4 is released and confirmed to work as advertised.  Moreover, Office 2010 hasn’t  been released to public retail; this will happen in June_. _ If I needed Endnote, I would not use Office 2010 until a compatible Endnote is ready and has been tested.  Furthermore, I would never write my dissertation on pre-release or just released software.  In fact, I wrote my dissertation using Office 2007.  Office 2010 was only used in a sandbox environment for beta testing.”

I did read it. You would not use Office 2010 to write your dissertation. It does not mean others wouldn’t either. Preferences differ, my friend. What I meant to say is TR needs to work on this ASAP as Office 2010 has been made available in many universities and one thing that’s holding some students from installing it is its incompatibility with EndNote. I also meant that even if the retail version of Office 2010 is not available now, it will be available pretty soon, so TR better release X4 or a patch before then if they don’t want to lose some of its market share.

Office 2010 will bring more compatibility issues than just with Endnote. For one thing the 64 bit version will have next to no support for the foreseeable future. Microsoft can confirm this. In fact, they advise against installation of the 64 bit version unless you work with large data sets (as an aside - I do).   Also, there was the debacle with Endnote being installed on Vista/Win7 x64 with Office 2007.  That version clearly did not work until version x3!!  A brief perusal through the support sections and forums will validate this. As for my opinion (and that I will no longer revisit this topic), I will wait until Endnote X4, or whatever the next iteration is, is fully tested and confirmed to be working before migrating to Office 2010 as the sole standalone office suite. 

My suggestion here is “stay with older versions if possible”.

Based on my experience in the past, I don’t expect Thomson Reuters are able to react so quickly to new Office. Even they do, and users pressure them to act quickly, things won’t happen that way. At least in the past, it was so slow to roll out problems with new Office version. You can trace back all the problems with Word 2007, which gave me a good reason to stay with Office 2003.

Btw, do you think Office 2010 is better equipped with tools for thesis or grant writing? I gave up working with Word long time ago, when I need image-loaded documents like grant proposals. For simply manuscript/document writing, I used Ooo Writer, and for the grants and stuffs, I use Adobe InDesign, which can embedd Word document as well. My needs are probably different from graduate student’s, but just wondering.

Quote: “Btw, do you think Office 2010 is better equipped with tools for thesis or grant writing?”

I don’t see any special tools added to Office 2010 that would particularly facilitate thesis writing. The main improvement to me is the speed/responsiveness (Office 2010 apps open in no time whereas 2007 takes at least a few seconds to open an app), better handling of embedded graphics, the ability to customize the ribbon (I have all tools that I need under one tab), and some other minor things like the sparkline (I use excel to analyze trends). Probably, saving your documents online is also a great tool, but I haven’t tried it yet. In summary, nothing major, but these tiny things sometime make your life easier. But, again, all this seems to come at cost of a worse compatability with some 3d-party applications, unfortunately.

Quote: "My suggestion here is “stay with older versions if possible”.

Based on my experience in the past, I don’t expect Thomson Reuters are able to react so quickly to new Office. Even they do, and users pressure them to act quickly, things won’t happen that way. At least in the past, it was so slow to roll out problems with new Office version. You can trace back all the problems with Word 2007, which gave me a good reason to stay with Office 2003."

This is unfortunate that TR does not usually react in a timely manner as, comes June, many people will have no other choice but to use Office 2010 (at least new Office purchasers who are not aware of the compatibility issue). Furthermore, as the Office 2010 RTM is already out and there should be no changes in the retail version of Office compared to RTM, there is no excuse for TR not to start working on this right now. Especially, considering that Office 2010 seems to be only an “evolutionary” update of Office 2007 as compared to the huge changes between Offiice 2003 and Office 2007.

I agree most (probably all) of your points. Anyway, the best thing (and only thing) we can do as end users is to bring the attention up front and keep telling them what is the top priority. If you are more eager, I suggest you to participate beta testing program, and tell your problems directly. Of course, that’s a big time committment, but you get what you need quicker, in the end.

Qote: “I suggest you to participate beta testing program”

I signed up for beta testing a few days ago. Haven’t heard back from TR yet. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to process an application? Thanks.

I’d like to voice my support for a patch being made to enable Endnote on Office 2010.  Office 2010 offers some great enhancements over 2007, and while the transition from 2003 to 2007 was quite slow due to the new Ribbon interface, I believe the transition to 2010 will be much more rapid.  I’ve made the jump and all of my other add-ins work fine.  I have the luxury of a second computer to keep Office 2007 for Endnote, but I suspect many users won’t have the same situation. 

Cheers.

Moreover, waiting for EndNote X4 to fix the compatibility issue means that customers who paid for X3 and who are happy with it and who otherwise would not upgrade to X4, will be forced to buy the new version of EndNote. I understand that this is an Office issue, but I think TR will hurt a huge chunk of its customer base if an X3 patch is not released.

I know many people that have installed Office 2010 alongside 2007 by doing a ‘Custom’ install and choosing a different folder to install to (only Outlook appears to disallow multiple versions installed).

I’m running the full final version of 2010 (with EndNote disabled as it crashes Word), but I’m about to try reinstalling Word 2007 in a seperate folder…then use that just for my writing that requires EndNote, and 2010 for everything else.

The file format has not changed like it did between 2003 and 2007.

Anyone else tried this yet?

This is crazy!  Our whole institute just upgraded to Office 2010, and using the latest Endnote X3, you expect it should work!

What now???  We dont have a license for Endnote X2, and have just upgraded from the very out-dated Office 2003!  Should we all have to go back to Office 2003 now???

Our institution has also switched to Office2010 32-bit (it is out already). I have a question.  I want to keep Word2007 until Endnote X4 but I want to run all other Office2010 applications. Does anybody try to upgrade from Office2007 to Office2010, everything but Word? Is it possible? If so, how?

Yeah that’s what I’ve done - I now have two whole copies of Office on my computer, and have set .docs to open in the old version (word 2003 for me :(  )

You could also just not install the word part of office 2010 (can be done during the installation)

grrrrr

Thanks! I update everything but Word and it works fine.

I just purchased the new version of X3 to find that it crashes word. I’m so irritated. I had the same issues when I upgraded to 2007 a couple years ago. I have to go back to use LATEX, again. So Lame.