Endnote x9 Catalina

Hi from Germany,

I already read the information about Endnote X9.3.1.

BUT unfortunatly I wanted to install Endnote after I installed Catalina. Now when I want to start Endnote its says “Endnote needs an update”. I downloaded Endnote-Updater but it tells me “cant find a any copies that could be updated”. 

Is there a solution or do I have to wait until Endnote 10?

Cheers

There is a very easy solution.

You do the 9.31 upgrade under Mojave.

Then copy only your new, 64 bit EndNote App file found in the EndNote Folder in Mojave Applications, and paste it into the EndNote folder in your Catalina Applications folder, replacing the useless 32 bit EndNote App file that is in that folder. 

Yes, you say, but I don’t /have/ a Mojave hard drive anymore–it’s already been  converted to Catalina.

The updated 64 bit EndNote app file is only about 92 mb in size. Clarivate could easily place it in a “download” area and everyone could get it. It still requires a valid registration to run it past the 30 day trial period, so no one can steal the program.

If Clarivate is reading this thread, I would be happy to upload the single file to my MEGA server, provide the DL key for that file only, and then anyone could get it, pending the EndNote 10 release. I won’t do that without their permission, though.

I found there’s another way to get around the “unable to find version to update” error, which I received when I attempted installation of 9.3.1 whilst already on Catalina. 

I even tried extracting the patcher program, and the patchdata.patch file to run manually (extracted from the contents of the 9.3.1 updater that is available on the updates page). The error I encountered relates to the version it’s attempting to update (when executed from the terminal). I think the updater terminal program expects version 9.3, which is now depreciated since 9.3.1 has been released so quickly. This leaves users who are currently running mojave, and have X9.2 installed. 

Here’s what I did to work around this:

1. Download the full application installer from the product page

2. Rename endnote X9 in your applications folder to “endnote backup” or similar

3. install the X9 9.3.1, and select the 30 day trial

4. copy the endnote.app from the package contents of the 9.3.1 30-day trial, into the same respective location in the endnote X9 backup folder. 

This will effectively place the core application in the 9.2 working evironment. The limitation here is that there may be associated working files (such as styles, formatting options, etc) that are not part of the core application, but were updated in the 9.3.1 version. There may be some points that the application becomes broken or demonstrates unpreditable behavior as a result of this, but I haven’t found any such scenarios as yet. 

Hopefully there will be a follow-on update to ameliorate what I think is an inability to update site-licensed installations (I think the current updater is only working for people who purchased an individual license, perhaps?)

Anyway… cheers and good luck!  If you have further questions, or want to know more about the process, I can try to take screen shots and reply if needed.

I have the same problem. Would be very helpful to get some solution.

Unfortunately I’m having this problem, too! :frowning:
Would be very thankful for help with that issue

I’m having the same problem, unfortunately! :frowning:
Would be very thankful for any help! 

If you are still not able to update EndNote to X9.3.1 then please contact Technical Support directly:

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or

https://endnote.com/contact/

We can assist with trying to update the software again or if needed with an uninstall and install with the EndNote X9.3.1 full version.

If you are still not able to update EndNote to X9.3.1 then please contact Technical Support directly:

or

We can assist with trying to update the software again or if needed with an uninstall and install with the EndNote X9.3.1 full version.

or

I have the same problem.

De-installing the app en re-installing does not help.
The updater is unable to find the endnote app…

I have the same problem…

Deleting and reinstalling the app does not help.
The updater is unable to find the Endnote program to update

this did not work with me