Excluding in-text citations from word count in MS Word

Hi,

I’ve looked in the Endnote user manual and online but have been unsuccessful. I am trying to count all of the words in my document without the citations, e.g. (Lee et al., 2004). I have not cited the papers using endnotes or footnotes but in the actual text paragraphs so this option in the word count tool bar does not work. I know it is possible because I was shown how to do it over a year ago and remember it was really simple once you knew how.

Thanks.

Well, the easiest way I can think of, would be to create a style that inserted no citation (Or bibliography, if you wanted that to not be counted too?  Reformat with that style, do your word count and then reformat it back to your chosen style.

Thanks Leanne, I have been trying to insert no citation and only the bibliography as you suggested. I have deleted the citation template under the style manager but it is still inserting a citation. Have you encountered this problem before?

Try this one?  – of course, it will only show up as a “blank” if you have formated the paper with the modified style.  Make sure it is showing as this style in the “format bibliography” drop down.  If X2 or X3, open this attachment and save it, then you may have to “open style manager” and put an “tick” in the box, so it shows as an option in the dropdown for styles. If X1 or previous versions you need to be sure to save this to the specified “folder” for styles, defined in the preference (edit>preferences> folder locations which may be on the C: drive in the programs folder, endnote, styles. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 08-04-2009 09:49 PM
Author-Date-no citation.ens (11.7 KB)

I realize this response comes a bit too late for you, but I figured it might help others with the same problem. I found this webapp: excludify.com . You can choose which brackets/quotes you want in- or excluded from your wordcount specifically.

I realize this response comes a bit too late for you, but I figured it might help others with the same problem. I found this webapp: excludify.com. You can choose which brackets/quotes you want in- or excluded from your wordcount specifically.

This can be done with Hidden font (see http:// superuser.com/questions/117218/word-count-excluding-specific-styles).

A VBA tool derived from this technique is available here: http:// ezcite.sourceforge.net

I’ve tried this, is shows nothing but is still counting those words.