Export csv files?

Hello!

I used my endnote library also for arranging and cataloguing some artefacts for my thesis. This didn’t work too well so I’m trying to use another one (Ninox) for the artefacts, the rest stays in Endnote. Problem is: to export my data I need csv files. Someone some time ago wrote an instruction here to do this but it didn’t work. So … is it actually possible and if so … what could be wrong now (maybe different under Endnote 20) and how to fix it?

What the person (CrazyGecko) wrote in 2009:

The process for exporting Endnote library references in CSV file format (which is a .txt text file) is provided as follows (which is similar to exporting references in the tab delimited file format).

STEP 1: SAVE A COPY OF YOUR LIBRARY

You will need to first prepare your EndNote library references by removing the carriage returns in each record prior to exporting. Carriage returns/linebreaks if exported will “bump” the data fields onto separate lines/rows instead of a columnar format. To prepare your EndNote library:

1. Click on the File menu and select Save a Copy
  2. Save a new temporary copy of your library.

STEP 2: REPLACE CARRIAGE RETURNS

Close your library and open this new library during the following instructions, so as not to remove all of the carriage returns (an important EndNote delimiter) from the original version of the EndNote library. Once the new library file is open:

1. Click the Edit menu.
  2. Choose Find and Replace. Older versions will have this listed as Change Text.
  3. Set the Select a Field option to Any Field
  4. Place the cursor into the Find: (Search for: in older versions) box.
  5. Click the Insert Special button.
  6. Insert a Carriage return
  7. Click in the Replace with: (Change the text to: in older versions) box and add slashes (//) or any other characters you’d like to replace the carriage returns for that field. ( Refer to image #1, bottom )
  8. Click Change.

STEP 3: EXPORT ENDNOTE REFERENCES USING THE MODIFIED CSV OUTPUT STYLE FILE

Now use the modified CSV output style file to export the Endnote library references. ( Refer to image #2 which shows the resulting CSV file as previewed in Excel and Word.)

After importing the CSV file into the receiving database or spreadsheet then reintroduce the carriage returns by using find and replace to locate the double slashes // with the carriage return. (Note: it’s important that the receiving database or spreadsheet is capable of performing find and replace. Otherwise you will not be able to replace the double slashes with carriage returns.)

Which step isn’t working?  

And you did double post.  Please delete the other one?  (delete from options, upper right, if no one else answers it there, first).  

Step 3 … the actual export … not sure there is actually a “modified CSV output style” in the end …

sorry … yeah … deleted!!

I don’t have an actual csv file … if I try to export the modified file I just created I can choose between … export as: text only, RTF, HTML and XML …

I don’t know where it went wrong. Shouldn’t the file have an csv ending after modifiying?

right before importing I’m asked for import preferences … (data source, UTF-8, and so on) … anything I need to specifically change or choose?

It should be created as a .txt file not a .cvs file.  You need to rename it I guess.