Hanging indent problem

Hello!

I’m dealing with a journal where the references should look like the following:

[1]    Author A, Author B, Author C, Author D, Author E: Title of
               the paper, Journal, Year, pages

I tried modifying settings both in the Output Styles/Bibliography/Layout and in the Tools/CWYW/Layout as well with no luck. Right now in the Output Styles/Bibliography/Layout I have the basic option of Starting each reference with: [Bibliography number] Tab. Then about the hanging indent:

-If I choose hanging indent “All paragraphs”:

-If I choose hanging indent “First paragraph only”:

-If I choose hanging indent “None”:

-If I choose hanging indent “Second paragraph only”:

-If I choose hanging indent “All paragraphs but first”:

Clearly no matter what I choose there are two basic results, none of those is good for me.

In the Tools/CWYW/Layout options if I give a value higher than 0 for First line indent it looks like:

If I change the value of hanging indent it  just changes the size of the indents summarized above for different Output styles hanging indent settings, but no luck with achieving the desired format.

Okay, first question is why do you want this?  Publishers can adjust this in the print/editing process.

But assuming you still want to do it. 

The paragraph and tab settings are two separate things, and Endnote uses paragraph settings only, so the tab is default and set the same as the hanging indent.  To adjust it, you will need to change the tab (and probably first increase your hanging indent).  The hanging indent can increased in your layout.  The 1st or 2nd or all or none settings have little to do with what the hanging indent is, just where it is applied.  

Your easiest option is to wait until you are done, and adjust it manually. 

Or you could try to modify the “Endnote Bibliography” that endnote creates in the Word styles list to change the tab to be less than the hanging indent.  Some endnote versions over the past years - this modification sticks (as it seems to in my current X9.2 install on windows, which I haven’t updated yet).  To try this, first select one of the references in the bibliography, with your home menu selected on the ribbon, drop down the styles list (the little angled arrow at the bottom of the styles), and the Endnote Bibliography style should be boxed/selected.  Right click on it and modify,format the tab, and add a first tab, smaller than the hanging indent setting you set in the endnote layout.  So if your hanging tab is default 0.50, you make the first tab 0.30.  To make it look better, you probably want the hang to be 0.75 and your new tab to be 0.50.  

This should be applied automatically to all the references – and in my tests today it sticks when you add new references or when you updated citations.  

If not, you will need to do this just before printing when you are finished.  

Hope that is clear enough.  Word magic and undocumented features of Endnote can be complicated.  

First question is why do you want this? Publishers can adjust this in the print/editing process.

But assuming you still want to do it.

The paragraph and tab settings are two separate things, and Endnote uses paragraph settings only, so the tab is default and set the same as the hanging indent. To adjust it, you will need to change the tab (and probably first increase your hanging indent). The hanging indent can be increased in your layout. The 1st or 2nd or all or none settings have little to do with what the hanging indent is, just where it is applied.

Your easiest option is to wait until you are done and adjust it manually.

Or you could try to modify the “Endnote Bibliography” that endnote creates in the Word styles list to change the tab to be less than the hanging indent. Some endnote versions over the past years - this modification sticks (as it seems to in my current X9.2 install on windows, which I haven’t updated yet). To try this, first select one of the references in the bibliography, with your home menu selected on the ribbon, drop down the styles list (the little angled arrow at the bottom of the styles), and the Endnote Bibliography style should be boxed/selected. Right click on it and modify, format the tab, and add a first tab, smaller than the hanging indent setting you set in the endnote layout. So if your hanging tab is default 0.50, you make the first tab 0.30. To make it look better, you probably want the hang to be 0.75 and your new tab to be 0.50.

This should be applied automatically to all the references – and in my tests today it sticks when you add new references or when you updated citations.

If not, you will need to do this just before printing when you are finished.

Hope that is clear enough. Word magic and undocumented features of Endnote can be complicated.

1 Like

A4 Copy Paper for sale online Online at rossukthaipapers.com

A4 Copy Paper for sale online Online at rossukthaipapers.com

Double A4 copy paper for sale Egypt, A4 Copy Paper For Sale Egypt,
Buy A4 Copy Paper online Egypt, Order A4 Copy Paper online Egypt,
Where to buy A4 Copy Paper online Egypt, Bulk A4 Paper Suppliers Egypt,
A4 Paper For Sale Egypt, Wholesale A4 Paper Egypt,Double A4 copy paper for sale,
A4 Copy Paper For Sale, Buy A4 Copy Paper online, Order A4 Copy Paper online,
Where to buy A4 Copy Paper online, Bulk A4 Paper Suppliers, A4 Paper For Sale,
Wholesale A4 Paper,A4 Paper Manufacturers Thailand for sale,
A4 Paper for sale in Thailand, Double A Copy Paper for sale,
Buy Double A Copy Paper online, Where to buy Double A Copy Paper,
Typek Copy Paper for sale, Buy Typek Copy Paper online, Order Typek Copy Paper online,
Xerox Copy Paper for sale online, Paper One Copy Paper for sale, Rotatrim Copy Paper for sale,
Buy Chamex Copy Paper online.

Phon: +66 615 91 3140

Email: info@rossukthaipapers.com