Here's how to run EndNote X8/X9 in Catalina until EN supports 64 bit operation

Here’s a workaround for running both X8 and X9 on Catalina prior to EndNote having 64 bit capability. It’s a bit cumbersome, and you have to be able to make a Mojave virtual machine (VM) using a third party program.

1. On your working HD with Mojave 10.14.6, create a new MacOS Mohave 10.14.6 VM, sign in to Apple, etc.

2. Install EndNote X8 or X9 directly in the VM from a DMG file on the Clarivate site (you can use a 30 day trial version, then register later), and run EndNote on the VM.

3. Install Office or just Word or another word processor on the VM, as you would do on any HD. If you have Office 365 with up to 6 installations allowed, you can do it through the Microsoft Office site.

4. Configure (customize) EndNote to work with Word or the Word equivalent program as you normally would.

5. You can now work with all your documents in Word and EndNote on the VM, and then copy the documents to any place you want. 

6. Once you have installed Catalina on your working HD, just run the Mojave VM with EndNote and your Word program installed. A Mojave VM will run 32 bit applications even when it is used under a 64 bit Catalina MacOS

7. Warning: Don’t wait until you install Catalina before creating the Mojave VM, because you will probably not be able to create a Mojave VM under Catalina.

Screen shot attached from a Catalina beta drive with the Mojave VM installed, and running EndNote.

Thanks but, seriously?

It’s ridiculous that users should be expected to do this or go without using EndNote. Are we expected to buy Parallels so that we can use obsolete software? And install a second copy of MS Office?!? I am sure KenV means well and I intend no offence to him, but this is crazy. Also, will Clarivate use this “workaround” to further drag their feet?

The clock is ticking. Apple just released the fourth developer beta of Catalina. 

"Thanks but, seriously?

It’s ridiculous that users should be expected to do this or go without using EndNote. Are we expected to buy Parallels so that we can use obsolete software? And install a second copy of MS Office?!? I am sure KenV means well and I intend no offence to him, but this is crazy. Also, will Clarivate use this “workaround” to further drag their feet?

The clock is ticking. Apple just released the fourth developer beta of Catalina."

Hah! And here I was, so proud of my techie self in figuring out a workaround! I had even told my kids about it just to prove that their old man still knew his way around the computer.

No, this was in no way meant to encourage Clarivate to delay their implementation of a fix, nor to force people to buy Parallels solely for this purpose.

It is simply a temporary workaround for people like me who want to install Catalina beta on our working MacBooks and still work with EndNote until the 64 bit version is released. It is the only thing holding me back at this point.

I, too, think Clarivate should have been working on a 64 bit EndNote all along, since everyone knew this was coming for at least the past year. But I am too dependent on EndNote (as are my collaborators) to want to change bibliography horses in midstream.

No offence taken, or offense, for that matter. (Are you in Canada, or perhaps the UK?) 

1 Like

Nope. Kentucky. But I am glad (seriously) that you took no offence/offense at my comments. My rant was not directed at you, but at Clarivate.

@dandgar10 wrote:

Nope. Kentucky. But I am glad (seriously) that you took no offence/offense at my comments. My rant was not directed at you, but at Clarivate.

Not to worry–I knew that.

I’ve ranted at Clarivate at times, myself. It doesn’t seem to make much difference.