High Sierra 10.13

Great to hear!  I do not expect you to publish but…it is great to know that you are testing and you will tell us.  

My Endnote desktop is not syncing in High Sierra 10.13, I will submit a report. There are no errors generated in the Sync diaglog but the web version has new references and attachments that are not syncing to the desktop app (X8.1 Bld 12930).

Same issue. EndNote runs OK, but the sync does NOT work – just connects and quits – no updating. Was going to try downloading again from the server (my huge endnote file) BUT will have to remember how to do that!! [Agree with your comments – no errors in Sync dialog, but did NOT sync, either!]. Very keen to know if anyone has a solution.

i also do have problems when it comes to highlighting text inside of pdfs. The highlighting covers the whole text and i cannot see through it anymore. It is just a yellow brick on my screen. So it seems like the transparency is bugged.

I need to rightclick on a reference, then open pdf with “Preview” from Mac. Then highlight my text passages there, save the pdf, then endnote takes the changes.

This is very annoying. Please fix it. Thank you very much!

EndNote X 7.71 add-in for Word 16.6 (171001) and High Sierra is Broken. EndNote starts and runs. However,

config tool wil not identify MS Word startup location. Downloading the CWYW bundle installer tool does not solve the situation either. It will not recognize the startup folder which is in exactly the location mentioned in this article (below).

researchsoftware.com/endnote-x75-x771-or-endnote-x8-windows-or-mac-missing-or-non-functional-cwyw-ms-word-2016

Upon startup, word states that CWYW add in is incompatible. 

Any help?

Hey everyone,

For those of you with the Fast Track release of the Office for Word 2016 Mac edition, please see the following thread for information on our beta program:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Sign-up-to-test-the-Beta-software-for-EndNote-X8-CWYW-for-Word/td-p/136287 

I have tried about everything including grabbing the library from a Sierra backup and it will not sync. I cannot start a new library and sync from the online library so it appers sync is completely broken for me in 10.13

I upgrade to the OS v.10.13 , which cause my Word uncompatible.

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.43.37 copy 2.jpg

Upgrading to macOS 10.13 should not be an issue in terms of Word compatibility. Did you also update your installation of Office to the new Office Insider Fast version? You can check by going to the Word menu and selecting About Word. If this indicates version 16.x rather than 15.x, you will know you are on the Fast Insider Update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_mac-msoinsider_reg/office-for-mac-fast-insiders-new-ways-to/af16d2ad-840f-4090-abe4-62996775557d

Our current EndNote X8 tools are not compatible with this Insider Update Fast Release. We are working with Microsoft to produce a compatible version of the tools. In the meantime, you can downgrade the installation of Word to the production release of 15.38 for compatibility. You can also sign up for our Public Beta program if you would like to test that with the Insider Update release from Microsoft:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Sign-up-to-test-the-Beta-software-for-EndNote-X8-CWYW-for-Word/td-p/136287

olwin, I see you already have a case with our Technical Support Team. If you can provide them with the log files that were requested, they can troubleshoot the issue with your synchronization issue.

I have sent the log files.

Does anyone have an update on the Endnote support for 10.13? 

Interesting.  I have not updated to High Sierra (Still on 10.12.6) and out of curiosity checked my endnote 8 sync.  SURPRISE!  I am also not syncing from desktop (MAC) to web.  My tablet and browser are on web and are missing all references I have added to desktop since late August.  Just spent an hour trying to resolve that with sync settings on desktop to no avail.  

Is it possible you also were not syncing prior to your upgrade to 10.13 OS?

upgrade to 10.13.2 problem solved !!!

1 Like

Hi. I am having problem also with my libary on High Sierra.

I have been using Endnote x7 for 2-3 years with the same libary file. It seems since I updated Mac software, the file will not open. I do not get any error messages. What happens when I double ckick is Endnote opens, but opens a different file (the default I think) - ‘my libarary’ this is not the name of the file I want to open.

If I go to file open, again, it allows me to click on it, but nothing happens, no error, no timer, no ‘indexing pdfs’ etc. I have tried to use the inbuilt recovery function - then when I try and open that file I get indexing pdfs and after 3/400 (out of 3500+) I get error message and programme closes.

Interesting, the file does open on my friends computer - so I do not think the file is corrupt. He has not updated Mac software  and has updated to EndNote x8. I have updated to x8 with no change.

I need help!

Looks like I am part of a big club. Using EndNote X8.2 (Build 13302) on Mac OS X High Sierra (currently running version 10.13.3) is a nightmare! EndNote completely freeze up during reference retrieval when trying to sync, the software becomes gruesomly slow after a while when using a library containing PDFs. And when I try to remove all the PDFs from my library in a desperate attempt to save my libraries I find that key functionality like “remove attachments” are missing, and “export library” and “create new library” only works after several attempts and restarts.

I now see no other option but to salvage as much as I can, move to a different software and warn my fellow researchers and companion students to either do the same or choose a different program if they haven’t chosen a reference manager yet. I truly hope that Clarivate will come up with a different solution than pointing to “the other guy” (i.e. Apple). This is not what I expect from a serious software manufacturers. It is, however, what I have experienced from several de facto industry standard software manufacturers. Makes me sad.

-Stig Andersen

I am back using Endnote after a 6 year absence, having moved on to Sente in despair at Endnote’s lack of functionality and erratic functioning. Alas the amazing Sente program is no longer supported and I am looking for another reference manager program. It will not be Endnote. After 30 minutes of trying to use Endnote 8.2 on a Mac High Sierra 13.3 I realise nothing has changed.

I’ve been on a later version of High Sierra. The slowdown remains horrible. However, I think it might relate to background syncing with EndNote Web. I disabled Sync Automatically in the prefs, and so far that has worked, but I need to test for a longer period. Scrolling with a trackpad is still unusable, and that’s a longstanding problem, but I have been able to live with that. The general slowdown, however, is excrutiating. I did contact tech support, again, and their advice was to update to High Sierra. Of course, that’s what I’m on, and they thought I was relating a crash issue (my email never mentioned crashes, only slowdowns). I also would caution that I’ve long regretted updating to High Sierra-apps like PathFinder are now unusable and I’ve not seen a whole lot of benefit in this OS update compared with Sierra itself. Also, keep in mind that people who use fusion drives (essentially, most iMac users) should not go to APFS if they update to High Sierra-the new filing system is good for SSDs, not fusion drives.

I am the OP and have given up on Endnote. I switched to Zotero and am much happier. I won’t be going back. I have been through several Mac OS updates on Endnote and always had issues, the betas for development are out for months prior to release allowing most developers to eliminate bugs and proactively ensure that apps work. I don’t think Mac users account for enough numbers and hence, changes in Word or Mac OS often disables Sente.  I am happy with Zotero, there are issues but so far it works for me. I was a long time Sente user and am much more satisfied with library handling and syncing in Zotero.  So far, none are as good as Sente but Sente is gone.

What a nightmare.  I have been using Endnote X8 on High Sierra for a year or so.

My library has 2500 references, most with annotated PDFs.  Endnote has been slow from the begining, taking ages to open or crashing half way through. However, since last week I cannot open my library AT ALL. The program crashes when I try opening it, or tells me that the program is being used by another user (which is not true).

I’ve been in contact with a very nice Clarivate advisor who’s matter of fact defeatist reply was " We have identified that the libraries that have PDFs with extensive annotations are hanging in the Mac OS which causes EndNote to crash".  That’s it, deal with it

I’m moving to Zotero, but since I cannot open my Endnote library, I cannot export it into XML format (the format needed by Zotero). Does anybody have any tips as to how to go about this?   Thanks in advance!

PS:  It beggars belief that EndNote is still selling its faulty product to Mac users without warning them of these issues (and pretending it’s an Apple issue).

Similar experience here using EndNote on Mac OS 10.14. Very very slow. No solution provided by EndNote. Agreed unethical of company to continue to promote the product as being compatible with Apple. 

Brendan