Inserting page numbers

Im using the latest version of EndNote on WIndows 7 Ultimate, word 2013, reference style J Public Admin Res Theory. WHY is it sooooo difficult to insert pages numbers?? I cant find how to do it. I need page numbers for certain citations in certain places, but there does not seem to be a sensible way to do it. Please help

The easiest way is to edit the citation (right click) more and put the text with cited pages in the suffix, not the pages line.  – 

Otherwise you need to edit the output style citation template to include “Cited Pages” as a field.  I did that in the attached version, but you need to open and save this and then change the output style in the word processing program (not in Endnote program).  You will probably need to view all styles to find it after saying as it won’t appear automatically in the dropdown, until you select it.  

J Public Admin Res Theory (cited-pages).ens (13.8 KB)

1 Like

im sorry, but could you describe the process of adding pages in the suffix step by step. when i right click i choose Edit Citations, then More?

i dont understand what suffix means and where to put the cited pages in it. when i right click on a citaiton and choose more a new windows pops up where i can’t see any “suffix”, can you please clarify where to find the mysterious suffix? )

At least in Windows version of endnote x7.3.1 – you get a menu, after rt clicking in a formated citation, and choose Edit citation, then choosing more… from the dropdown menu.  

In the attached image you either put the text (with punctuation and text) into the suffix field, OR you put it in the pages field, using an output style that provides the punctuation and text required such as in the one I modified and attached to the previous message.   

thank you, i am amazed how i managed not to see these fields before … 

This is still such a cumbersome system, with too many steps for good work flow.

How come there is no option to add pages when you are adding the original citation using the “insert citation” action? Surely having an option there, when you select the reference, to add page numbers would not be too difficult? Having to insert the citation, wait for the whole VBA field process to finish its updating, then right clicking on the recently added field, selecting ‘edit citations’, finding the citation you wish to add the page numbers too (if you have many references in that group), then adding the page numbers, then updating it again (setting the VBA processing going all over again) is a burdensomely ineffecient way of doing something so simple. 

When working on lengthy documents (e.g. PhD theses of books), or extensively researched documents, the ludicrously inefficient work flow decreases productivity to a significant degree. You could skip all that pain if adding page numbers was coded into the same window as adding citations.

This is still such a cumbersome system, with too many steps for good work flow.

How come there is no option to add pages when you are adding the original citation using the “insert citation” action? Surely having an option there, when you select the reference, to add page numbers would not be too difficult? Having to insert the citation, wait for the whole VBA field process to finish its updating, then right clicking on the recently added field, selecting ‘edit citations’, finding the citation you wish to add the page numbers too (if you have many references in that group), then adding the page numbers, then updating it again (setting the VBA processing going all over again) is a burdensomely ineffecient way of doing something so simple. 

When working on lengthy documents (e.g. PhD theses of books), or extensively researched documents, the ludicrously inefficient work flow decreases productivity to a significant degree. You could skip all that pain if adding page numbers was coded into the same window as adding citations.

You can if you turn off CWYW and put it in the temporary citations.  I still work with cwyw off (auto formating).  Insert citation – temporary looks like this {author, year #recno} or my preferred {author, year label} [which avoids the whole sync problem if you routinely copy the rec number into the label field] and then put in your page numbers {author, year #recno@1-2}  or suffix {Author, year #recno for a more complete explanation} or prefix {for review see \Author, year #recno}.  

Really all the fancy stuff slows you down, in my opinion.  Then with the click of a button to “update citations and bibliography”, they all get converted seemlessly.  

But I am an old dog and that is the way Endnote worked when I started!  Yes, I will probably retire or die soon.  :wink:

1 Like

Game changer! Cheers Leanne - this sounds right up my alley.

I’m still using X5, to turn of CWYW, do I deselect the “Enable Instant Formatting on new Word documents” option? A

The clunkiness of waiting for all the flashy updating each time you add a reference has been driving me nuts for years. Have a 75 page chapter at the moment, that is comparatively light on references, and it is just torture. I’d much rather manually type the references and then manually update in one fell swoop when I am walking away from the computer for a bit.

Would multiple refs look something like: {Gounaris, 2007 #53@89; Coldstream, 2003 #77@306; Vink, 1997 #82@126; Weiberg, 2016 #4493@67}?

(mind you - still don’t understand why they can’t have page numbers in the insert citation window, OR the option to stay in that window and keep adding references when you are citing multiples - which for me is all 300 footnotes so far!)

Hmm, weirdness: Just tried that manual citation (also, unchecking that box didn’t turn off auto–update - would love to know where I can do that?), and got this result:

Vink 1997: 126; : 306; Gounaris 2007: 89; Weiberg 2016: 67.

Any idea why Coldstream went awol? He’s in the list when you rightclick on it and go to edit citations (also in the page number seen above), but no idea why the reference isn’t showing?

Apologies for the triple posting (I can’t work out how to edit original posts here), but I found the solution to the question of turning off instant formatting (clicking on the corner arrow to open the bibliography tool tab in word, then going to the formatting tab). 

Now it is just the weirdness about the missing reference: I’ve added another 30 manually since the last post, and it is doing this to several, always selectively too (the other references either side will be happy and complete). Coldstream in particular disappears consistently?

to edit a post, Options (upper right) edit.  

So tell me what you options are in the edit citation:more menu?  Is page numbers an option?  I have trouble remembering software options in a version I used in 2012.  

What reference type is “Coldstream”?  

Remind me again what output style you are using?  Can you attach it (Attachments: choose file below your reply box). 

Are these footnotes or in-text citations?  

Finally, you could do {Gounaris, 2007 #53 pg. 89; Coldstream, 2003 #77 pg. 306; Vink, 1997 #82 pg. 126; Weiberg, 2016 #4493 pg. 67} or what ever punctuation/text you want to appear.  

BTW - my take on why the second step, is - in your example you have 4 inserted citations in the group.  You could edit each one when they are formated in one step – from the more window, you would click on each record citation and addthe prefix, suffix (or page numbers if that is an option in X5).  If it is one citation, then it could be easier to do in one step, but when multiple, it is far more efficient to have the second step to select the one(s) you want to amend.  

Yup, page numbers is an option - but only once you open the full window (see attached)

Coldstream is a book, and a quick scan showed that the other missing ones also seem to be books. I can’t see any books that worked, but I admit I haven’t gone through every single citation (document too large)

I checked the template (in Chicago 16thA, using the footnotes - attached the style) and all seems good there re field coding, so not sure why the Au and Year is missing for the books?

There’s also small anomalies that make no sense in the bibliography too, like a full stop not appearing after an author’s name, or the first parenthesis in front of (ed) missing. Again, the template seemed fine? But maybe I am too ignorant on what it should look like

Thanks for all your help!

PS On a side note, “edit” isn’t an option for me in the options drop-down menu of the forum post here? (Screenshot attached)

Chicago 16th A KTH_copy.ens (67.7 KB)

I seem to have fixed “it” by telling Chicago to use the same format as citations for footnotes. No idea still what “it” was, but seems to be working correctly now. 

Cheers for the help!

So glad.  I got hung up on your comment about not being able to edit the post and forgot all about responding to the actually question!   I never looked at your output style… sorry.  

No worries - I also can edit posts now too.

Again, no idea what the problem was (perhaps I just needed to sign out and in again?), but I do love it when things somehow sort themselves out (although a part of me is forever left screaming “but why!?” in a little corner of my mind)

thanks for all your help

That was a “fix” as no one realized that some users couldn’t edit their posts for some reason!  

• Thank you. I was struggling with the same problem and this has helped.