Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
User

Re: Inserting page numbers

Apologies for the triple posting (I can't work out how to edit original posts here), but I found the solution to the question of turning off instant formatting (clicking on the corner arrow to open the bibliography tool tab in word, then going to the formatting tab). 

Now it is just the weirdness about the missing reference: I've added another 30 manually since the last post, and it is doing this to several, always selectively too (the other references either side will be happy and complete). Coldstream in particular disappears consistently?

Mentor

[ Edited ]

to edit a post, Options (upper right) edit.  

So tell me what you options are in the edit citation:more menu?  Is page numbers an option?  I have trouble remembering software options in a version I used in 2012.  

What reference type is "Coldstream"?  

Remind me again what output style you are using?  Can you attach it (Attachments: choose file below your reply box). 

Are these footnotes or in-text citations?  

Finally, you could do {Gounaris, 2007 #53 pg. 89; Coldstream, 2003 #77 pg. 306; Vink, 1997 #82 pg. 126; Weiberg, 2016 #4493 pg. 67} or what ever punctuation/text you want to appear.  

BTW - my take on why the second step, is - in your example you have 4 inserted citations in the group.  You could edit each one when they are formated in one step -- from the more window, you would click on each record citation and addthe prefix, suffix (or page numbers if that is an option in X5).  If it is one citation, then it could be easier to do in one step, but when multiple, it is far more efficient to have the second step to select the one(s) you want to amend.  

(long time Endnote user)
User

Yup, page numbers is an option - but only once you open the full window (see attached)

Coldstream is a book, and a quick scan showed that the other missing ones also seem to be books. I can't see any books that worked, but I admit I haven't gone through every single citation (document too large)

I checked the template (in Chicago 16thA, using the footnotes - attached the style) and all seems good there re field coding, so not sure why the Au and Year is missing for the books?

There's also small anomalies that make no sense in the bibliography too, like a full stop not appearing after an author's name, or the first parenthesis in front of (ed) missing. Again, the template seemed fine? But maybe I am too ignorant on what it should look like

Thanks for all your help!

PS On a side note, "edit" isn't an option for me in the options drop-down menu of the forum post here? (Screenshot attached)

User

I seem to have fixed "it" by telling Chicago to use the same format as citations for footnotes. No idea still what "it" was, but seems to be working correctly now. 

Cheers for the help!

Mentor

So glad.  I got hung up on your comment about not being able to edit the post and forgot all about responding to the actually question!   I never looked at your output style... sorry.  

(long time Endnote user)
User

[ Edited ]

No worries - I also can edit posts now too.

Again, no idea what the problem was (perhaps I just needed to sign out and in again?), but I do love it when things somehow sort themselves out (although a part of me is forever left screaming "but why!?" in a little corner of my mind)

thanks for all your help

Mentor

That was a "fix" as no one realized that some users couldn't edit their posts for some reason!  

(long time Endnote user)