Is EndNote basically...done?

Having provided EndNote support to researchers since the introduction of version X, I agree that the application is due for a significant update.

Yes, it would be ‘nice’ to see improvements to the iOS app and the introduction of an Android alternative. But I am more concerned about basic functionality / useabilty of the desktop application. Recent upgrades haven’t been associated with signigicant improvements to functionality and more importantly … haven’t addressed significant known bugs, particulrly with the macOS version, e.g. PDF viewer, memory issues(?).

Version X9 under macOS Mojave is almost unusable. Adding / editing even a relatively small number of records, the application slows to a crawl … and this is only resolved by closing and re-opening the library. And this is with a library stored in a desktop folder with no attachments, running on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 32GB of memory, or a 2017 15in MacBook Pro.

I can live with a nagging prompt about 32bit applications, but the performance issue is a significant issue! Needless to say, I have held off deploying X9 at the higher education institution where I work.

Having said that, I have yet to see an alternative reference management system with a better integration for the omnipresent MS Word?

1 Like