Library damaged error message

I am using Word 2007, saving my files on Dropbox (version 2.4.11) , and saving my EndNote (Version X 7.0.2) library on Dropbox.

I repeatedly get the error message mentioned in this post:

_ Database error. Please verify that no other user has this library open simultaneously with write access. _

_ If this error persists… use Recover Library on the Tools menu. _

_   _

I have used the Recove Library option on the Tool menu successfully. Then the new library with the word “saved” appended to the file name works fine-  until I shut down EndNote and the Word file - next time I try to re-open the EndNote library, I get the same error. Pecularily, I don’t get the error message EVERYTIME I try to open the library, but there doesn’t seem to be a reason as to why sometimes I have to recover the library and sometimes I don’t. Because the problem reoccurs, I end up with a library called “xxx-saved-saved-saved”. Not a show stopper (ie it still works) but very strange.

I tried to pause sychronising on Dropbox, it does not seem to have had an effect.

Can anyone advise on the best solution? Is it acceptable to have an EndNote library on Dropbox?

Thanks

Edel

Dropbox is not recommended.  See this knowledgebase article.  

http://endnote.com/kb/115635

I lost two libraries already with this same message. The recovery strategy doesn’t work with my last very well organized library. Any recovery suggestion ? I am on a PC right now. I will try on my Mac tonight. I would REALLY like to recover it. 

Thanks !

using drop box?  –

If the original .DATA folder is backed up somewhere, you should be able to recover it – by creating an empty text only file with the same name as the .DATA folder, ending in .enl (so for library.DATA, a file called library.enl)residing in the same folder as the the .DATA folder (not in the .DATA folder).  But if that .DATA folder was overwritten – it is toast.  

So move it out of the drop box and see if you can recover it.  Everything you need (groups, PDFs etc) are in the .DATA folder.  The .enl file is really just a pointer.  

Hi,

I just upgraded to Endnote 8 and deleted the EndNote 7 application from my computer. Downloading references from the library isn’t as smooth as it used to be. I only have endnote on my personal laptop. Now sometimes I get this EndNote error message that says “This library is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it again later.” 

I’m the only one using my library. Whats up!?!

I was using cite while you write in Endnote 8 on my mac and had to edit a citation. I saved it and I got an error message and had to force log off the computer. Upon restarting, I can no longer access my endnote library and receive the error message “The libary is currently being used by someone else. Try opening it later.”

What is going on?

Can anyone help?

I am trying to download a reference from google scholar however sometimes when I drag the reference from the download menue into endnote, the following message pops up: 

"This library is currently being used by someone else.  Try opening it again late"

I often restard my computer and it usaully works, after a few goes!

Hi,  it happened to me. but I can recover my endnote file.  it is very important to me. 

please please help me.

thanks

Xi

thanks this worked a treat

Hi,

I’m updated my MacOS system from Mountain Lion to Sierra after which my endnote 4 would not work, so had to update to Endnote 8. Now my library starts opening but then I get an error message "  This library is currently being used by someone else.  Try opening it again later" .  I have reinstalled endnote multiple times, I’ve “Recover library” multiple time and save under various names and restarted my computer multiple times. Still getting the same message. Only good thing at the moment is that endnote is not crashing anymore. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alicia

Updated to X8.  Have you tried moving the .enl file AND the .DATA folder to another folder location and try opening it from there? That has fixed it for one of my colleagues.  Then we deleted the original and moved it back to the original location so the syncing didn’t get messed up.  

I have the problem - but have no idea about the tecnicalities you have been forwarding as solutions.  I am a user and not familiar with drives - etc.

Is there a step by step solution.

At the moment endnote is frozen, I can’t close it or open it.  The error message will not shut, so can’t get access to the program.

I have a lot stored on end note, and do not know where to start

I would start by calling or contacting Tech Support.  

Technical Support

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

I seem to have solved this by copying each of my many Endnote files, then renaming them (keeping the same “.enl” suffix), then opening the renamed file, then saving them as the original file (ie overwriting the original file). Tedious, and I hope it doesn’t keep happening!

Yesterday Endnote worked fine - today I have exactly the same problem. I have used Endote for over 20 years and have about 40,000 refs, so am heavily invested in this program, which has been reliable to date. I write for a living. I have noticed some improvements in Endnote version 8 (which I only recently installed) but this is very disturbing; the inconvenience far exceeds the slight improvement. There must be a bug in the program.

It’s fine if I create a new Endnote file - but I am locked out of all my pre-existing files.

Maybe I should switch to Mendeley?

I have been using endnote forever too.  I have only once had this problem (and luckily had backups and synced copies).  In my case I intermittently lost access to our network drive.  At that time, I was told only use the library on local haddrive.  I have to be honest, I didn’t like or heed that advice and haven’t had the trouble again.  But it is worth looking at where your library lives and thinking about trialing it on the hard drive for a bit?  

I assume when you moved/renamed things, you did take the .DATA folder too?  That is where the guts of the database reside.  

Me too, help!!

Thank you! I am more grateful than I can say

thank you so much ,my problem is solved.

Hello James, 

I have renamed the folders that my libaries were saved in and now I seem to have the same problem. Additionally, I work in an online work environment (Citrix) which makes it impossible for me to shut down EndNote (the message won’t go away if you click ‘OK’. How can I solve this problem? 

I haven’t changed the name of the libary or the name of the data files, just the name of the folder that was used to store all information regarding my study (which includes the EndNote library). 

Thanks in advance and I hope you can help me out. 

Best, 

Hans van Lennep