Lost reference group after restore a library with Endnote X7

Hi,

When I tried to open a library with Endnote X7, I got the following error that has been reported for countless times by endnote users.

Database error. Please verify that no other user has this library open simultaneously with write access.
If this error persists after restarting endnote, then the library may be damaged. To repair it, please use the “recover Library” command on the “Tools” menu.

I used the “Recovery Library” command on the “Tools” menu to recovery the library. It works fine for everything except for the reference groups. In the original library, I have about 2000 reference records. I managed the references by assigned them into subgroups in the “My Groups”  panel. Unfortunate, the recovered library does not have the group information at all. This is kind of disaster for me.

Is there anyway to recover the group information from a crashed Endnote library?

I appreciate your kind help with the matters.

Noah

Hi Noah,

Sorry about that. An EndNote library is made up of two items, the mylibrary.enl file, and the mylibrary.data folder, the group information is stored in the data folder.

If you open the enl file without the data folder, EndNote will create a new data folder with no group information. So, in order to recover your groups, you need to locate the original data folder or restore your library from a backup if you have one.

I hope this helps!

Hello,

I wonder information on groups has been saved in which file.

Regards,

omid

Hello,

I wonder information on groups has been saved in which file.

Regards,

omid

Hi,

This is useful to know that the groups are located in the data file.  I can locate the data file, but what do I do with it? Can I attach it to the recovered library somehow?

Phillip Mar. 

If it is somewhere else, FIRST Copy it to a safe location. 

Then you can create a text only file (use a text editor not word, or make sure you save it as .txt file, so it has nothing in it) with the same name as the .DATA folder in the same folder (not IN the .DATA folder) as the .DATA folder (so if mylibrary.DATA then the file name is mylibrary.enl).  then you should be able to open that file and it will use the .DATA folder info.  If the file is synched, you should move both the .ENL file and the .DATA folder  to the folder where the synced copy used to live. 

I would save the files located there to a backup location first - as I am unbelievably careful.  

Nice.