Moving organized library from Papers to Endnote

Hi everyone.

I know how to export my library from papers and import into Endnote. However the only reason NOT switching to Endnote currently is that the folder structure from papers will be gone.

Is there any way to maintain it?

Thank you.

Dennis

Seems to be impossible by the number of responses?

@Endnote support team - would be great if you could comment - 

As a side note - papers will not work with Catalina so the reference manager that CAN do this (as I do not want to go with Readcube) will win and there will be more people out there thinking the same…

same question, request from my side!

Have been using Papers 2 for many years, now 5500 papers in my library, 35 manual collections. Have been using Endnote, now X9, in parallel for many years as well, mainly for adding references in actual papers via CWYW. It is now time for the big step: migrate to Big Sur. Papers’ successor ReadCube is out of question based on many very negative user comments.

Not sure whether this strategy will work:

• Export each manual collection from Papers as Refman RIS file.

• Import in Endnote into a new group with the same name.

• Since several papers are present in several manual collection identify and remove in Endnote duplicates after each import.

• Create in Papers a smart collection of unfiled papers and export as Refman RIS as well.

• Import those papers (the great majority in the library) into Endote/All References as well.

Not sure about the consequences when removing duplicates, will they remain in all the groups?

Anyway, a response and hint on a better strategy from Endnote Support would be greatly appreciated! 

same question, request from my side!

Have been using Papers 2 for many years, now 5500 papers in my library, 35 manual collections. Have been using Endnote, now X9, in parallel for many years as well, mainly for adding references in actual papers via CWYW. It is now time for the big step: migrate to Big Sur. Papers’ successor ReadCube is out of question based on many very negative user comments.

Not sure whether this strategy will work:

• Export each manual collection from Papers as Refman RIS file.

• Import in Endnote into a new group with the same name.

• Since several papers are present in several manual collection identify and remove in Endnote duplicates after each import.

• Create in Papers a smart collection of unfiled papers and export as Refman RIS as well.

• Import those papers (the great majority in the library) into Endote/All References as well.

Not sure about the consequences when removing duplicates, will they remain in all the groups?

Anyway, a response and hint on a better strategy from Endnote Support would be greatly appreciated! 

Update: It doesn’t work…

Removal of duplicates after import of a subsequent collection of references/papers (with a subset of references/papers being present in both groups) will remove the references/papers again from the second group. Thus references in groups get screwed up when removing duplicates.

…let alone proper import of highlights and notes in many of the paper PDFs

…let alone automatic import of supplementary files…

At Endnote Suppor and Clarivate:

Seems like a great way for discouraging potential customers from switching to Endnote; do not provide tools for importing reference libraries from other reference management softwares!

extremely sad to see…

They could get new customers that would enjoy using Endnote. I think its extemely important to make the transition process as easy as possible.

Still rather avoiding the update than using Endnote at the moment…

Would be great to hear anything from the support – otherwise this tells me a lot as well…

I would handle the workflow as follows, 

In papers, I would add a keyword (or in note or other field that will be imported intact) for each group that I want the record to appear in, and once imported into endnote set up a smart group based on that keyword. 

I import with “discard duplicates” on, so duplicates don’t get into endnote, in the first place.  

1 Like

Thank you, @leanne this might be a way.

ideally though there would be an import option from Endnote – this would make a lot easier…

keywords added in Papers for subsequent recreation of Collection/groups in Endnote is a great suggestion.

However, no proper import of highlights, notes and, in my case, especially supplementary information accompanying many of my references in my Papers library.

My recent correspondence with Endnote support was not helpful at all.

I had hoped Endnote20 would do a better job but it seems as bad as Endnote X9 in this regard.

no help came as well to my end.

It still keeps me away from endnote…

And it turns out Endnote 20 is a major step backwards in various aspects. Very disappointing.

Hi Everyone,

I’m dealing with the same issue now… any updates so far? Any solution from Endnote? Or can you recommend another software to switch conveniently from Papers 3?

Thanks, 

Jase

Hi Everyone,

I’m dealing with the same issue now… any updates so far? Any solution from Endnote? Or can you recommend another software to switch conveniently from Papers 3?

Thanks, 

Jase

Same quesiton here. Starting to get critical now that Papers3 is no longer supported. Thanks.

I have 10000+ articles in Papers3 and need to maintain the LaTeX citekeys that I set up in Papers3. Is this possible??

Migration is getting critical now that Papers3 is no longer supported.

Thanks Phil