Need to print list of references

Iā€™m still fighting with EndNote :manmad: trying to learn how to use it - the program is certainly not very intuitive. I just installed the latest update for Vista 64-bit machines and at least that seems to work. Unfortunately, you canā€™t determine if it has been installed correctly unless you go into MS Word 2007 and not in EndNote (as the update doesnā€™t appear to be listed there). There are are few things I need now:

1. Is it possible to print out lists of references in specific groups? If so, how?
  2. I am constantly battling EndNote to find a way to list legal references and court cases for the references that must be cited under APA. Are there any, relatively easy, ways to accomplish this.
  3. The templates, for each source type, that are provided in EndNote are about as clear as mud. Are there any sources of information as to how to use those?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

You sound like a candidate for some anger management:smiley: or endnote training - maybe a webinar? http://www.endnote.com/training/

@jlamarca wrote:

Is it possible to print out lists of references in specific groups? If so, how?

Yes.  select the group and then select the references in the group (select all or ctrlA), then File, export to an rtf file, ensuring the correct style is chosen in the dropdown list -lower left or print after selecting the correct style in the endnote window. 

I am constantly battling EndNote to find a way to list legal references and court cases for the references that must be cited under APA. Are there any, relatively easy, ways to accomplish this.

battling.   You really need to ask nicely!  ā€“ but I am not quite sure what you asking.  Legal referencing as I understand it, is rather complicated, and are a law unto themselvesā€¦ I suggest googling something like: ā€œlegal reference endnote apaā€?

The templates, for each source type, that are provided in EndNote are about as clear as mud. Are there any sources of information as to how to use those?

You can view the output from a selected style (in style manager) by toggling the style info/preview button.  Also, you can consult this thread, for a set of styles and examples.  http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-files&thread.id=395&jump=true

@leanne wrote:

You sound like a candidate for some anger management:smiley: or endnote training - maybe a webinar? http://www.endnote.com/training/

Iā€™ll settle for a bit of training :smiley: hopefully, it wonā€™t be as painful as learing how to use EndNote (which seems to be a very counterintuitive bloated piece of software that, while it may do the job, REALLY needs to be re-written while keeping endusers in mind) :wink:

Is it possible to print out lists of references in specific groups? If so, how?

Yes.  select the group and then select the references in the group (select all or ctrlA), then File, export to an rtf file, ensuring the correct style is chosen in the dropdown list -lower left or print after selecting the correct style in the endnote window.

GREAT! Thank you!

I am constantly battling EndNote to find a way to list legal references and court cases for the references that must be cited under APA. Are there any, relatively easy, ways to accomplish this.

battling.   You really need to ask nicely!  ā€“ but I am not quite sure what you asking.  Legal referencing as I understand it, is rather complicated, and are a law unto themselvesā€¦ I suggest googling something like: ā€œlegal reference endnote apaā€?

I did ask nicely - EndNote isnā€™t very nice though, so there :stuck_out_tongue: Let me give you an example (as long as Iā€™m being so mean) - letā€™s say I want to cite a specific court ruling such as

Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954)

How does one cite that using EndNote under APA?

The templates, for each source type, that are provided in EndNote are about as clear as mud. Are there any sources of information as to how to use those?

You can view the output from a selected style (in style manager) by toggling the style info/preview button.  Also, you can consult this thread, for a set of styles and examples.  http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-files&thread.id=395&jump=true

Thanks, the mud just got a bit clearer.