No reference editing window in X8 on Mac?

I’m running X8.1 on OSX High Sierra 10.13.2.

Previously when you double-clicked on a reference I got a window to edit the various reference fields - the way Endnote has worked forever.

Now when I do so, I get the PDF attachment (if any) or the message “… no pdf attached.”

The only way to edit a reference now seems to be through a pane which is either below (bottom split/preview) or to the right (right split/preview).

This is frankly, a pain.

Incidentally, right preview does not show a preview at all, only the fields pane.

And selecting a reference and choosing right-click | edit references also gives the  PDF attachment (if any) or the message “… no pdf attached” result.

Is this a new “feature” or a bug???

The issue is related to the view options once you double click on a reference in EndNote.

Once you have the Reference Edit Window open you will see at the lower right of the window three icons.

The first icon is the Reference Only view.

The second icon is the Reference and PDF view.

The thrid icon is the PDF only view.

The issue sounds like you have the icon set to PDF only and need to change the option to one of the other two.

Please see the attched screenshots.

If this does not help then Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Thanks for replying Tony but you seem to have misread my post.

Firstly, I do not get a reference edit window. This is the problem.

I have attached a screen shot showing what I see with the view “Bottom Preview”

If I choose a view with preview (either bottom or right) I get three panes

1. TOP the references list

2. MIDDLE the fields of the selected reference - which can be edited but it’s a pain compared to how it used to work

3. BOTTOM: the citation preview

If I right-click a reference and choose Edit | References - I get only the PDF window (if there is no PDF attached I still get the PDF window but with a message “there is no PDF attached to this reference”).

The split views (bottom and right) also show the fields of the selected reference - which can be edited, but it’s a pain compared to how it used to work.

I have looked closely at all the Preferences option but none seem to refer to my issue.

Just to be clear:

1. previously, when I double-clicked on a reference,  a window opened in which I could edit the reference fields … this is the way endnote has been working for years

2. now, when I double-click on a reference, the PDF view window opens, always

3. now, the only way I can edit a reference is with fiddly scrolling in a pane.

The screenshot you sent is of the library window.

I would look again at the screenshots I posted which show the Edit Window when showing a PDF and how it can be changed to display just the Reference or both the Reference and the PDF.

If you are still having trouble please contact us directly when we can do a WebEX session to your machine to better explain how to make this change once you have the Reference Edit window open.

Please contact Technical Support directly

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1 or

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/technicalsupport?language=en_US

Sorry Tony I didn’t notice your screen shots ~ I understand now, thanks.

BTW you or someone else has maked my post as a solution …

I am glad that I was able to help.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

I will look into what happened with the solution click.