Problem "Edit Citation/Exclude Author"

Whenever you cite an author’s name in the sentence, you do not need it in the citation. For example it would look like this: “According to John Smith, blah blah blah (2008).” And whenever there are multiple publications by that author it would read, “According to John Smith, blah blah blah (2002, 2006, 2008).”

However, EndNotes automatically puts the author’s name in the citation. Therefore, you have to edit the citation and “Exclude Author”. Whenever I do this, EndNotes keeps extra commas in the citation. So my citation ends up looking like “(2002, , 2006, , 2008)”

Is there something else I need to be doing whenever I exclude an author? Or is this simply a buy in the software?

Which version of EndNote?

I believe there was a problem with some earlier APA styles and you might want to try downloading the new one. 

see http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_Jul_2006/thid_af01c5c4ee8819364a84fd348032986d.html from old listserv archives.

My citation looks like this (Author, |Year|,*p.^pp.*Cited Pages|) where the asteriks are “link adjacent” and the | are “forced separation” characters and works fine.

Message Edited by Leanne on 06-05-2008 11:09 AM