Problems with Endnote X8 registration/syncing

Hello,

I’m using Endnote X8 on Mac (El Capitan). It mostly works fine, but I keep getting a pop up window entitled ‘Endnote Registration’, which is completely blank except for the actions ‘Cancel’ and ‘Sync’. When I click cancel, it indexes all my PDFs and seems to be okay, but the box just appears again after a while. When I click sync, it tries to retrieve the account info but seemingly can’t. Going to Tools>Sync brings up the same blank pop-up window. I originally bought X7 a few weeks before X8 came out, and upgraded for free. I previously had Endnote via my institution, but left that job so bought my own licence -  I initially synced with my Endnote Web library in order to get all my old references on my desktop and it worked fine. Please can you advise. 

Thanks,

Alex

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem.

I am having the same issue.  It would be nice, if I could just set it to automatically sync because it keeps popping up a message randomly while I’m typing.

2 Likes

Have you contacted support?  I suspect your web account is linked to the license of your former institution, and you need them to manually attach it to your new license.  You might be able to remove the current online email info and create a new online account with a new email and with this new license?  Or you can just turn off the sync function?  

2 Likes

same problem here. Does any one know how to fix this poping sync? I registered my endonote x8 for mac but still the sync keeps poping.

1 Like

cannot find the option to turn off the sync. There seems to be no “preference” in this X8 version for mac.

1 Like

Alexandra AllyThornton27

You can try the following first: Windows: Go to the Edit Menu, Choose Preferences. In EndNote X7 and later, select “Sync” here clear the email address and password then click OK. You can then go to Tools and Sync to see if that will then stop the pop up window. Mac: Go to the EndNote Menu, Choose Preferences. Here, select “Sync” then clear the email address and password then click Save and close the window. You can then go to Tools and Sync to see if that will then stop the pop up window.

If that does not resolve the issue I would contact support direclty. http://endnote.com/support Your online account is tied to EndNote X8 so you should not be getting the pop up to register.

You can turn off sync:

Windows: Go to the Edit Menu, Choose Preferences. In EndNote X7 and later, select “Sync”  then uncheck Sync Automatically.
Mac: Go to the EndNote Menu, Choose Preferences. Here, select “Sync” then uncheck Sync Automatically.

2 Likes

Joshua emsphydeaux
You will need to link your online account to your desktop purchase using the following steps:

Windows: Go to the Edit Menu, Choose Preferences. In EndNote X7 and later, select “Sync” and choose the “Enable Sync” button. Click Sign Up. Note that with a single user license, you will be able to register only one email address.

Mac: Go to the EndNote Menu, Choose Preferences. Here, select “Sync” and choose the "“Enable Sync” button.  Click Sign Up. Note that with a single user license, you will be able to register only one email address.

You can turn off sync:

Windows: Go to the Edit Menu, Choose Preferences. In EndNote X7 and later, select “Sync”  then uncheck Sync Automatically.
Mac: Go to the EndNote Menu, Choose Preferences. Here, select “Sync” then uncheck Sync Automatically.

1 Like

Han h_shen@outlook.com
Your online account is still linked to EndNote X7. So you will need to upgrade your account:

Windows: Go to the Edit Menu, Choose Preferences. In EndNote X7 and later, select “Sync” and choose the “Enable Sync” button. Click Sign Up. Note that with a single user license, you will be able to register only one email address.

Mac: Go to the EndNote Menu, Choose Preferences. Here, select “Sync” and choose the "“Enable Sync” button.  Click Sign Up. Note that with a single user license, you will be able to register only one email address.

You can turn off sync:

1 Like

Thanks TMartin, that really helps!

Ahaan…

Dear fellow users,

I also always received the blank window. (OSX 10.12.5; EndNote 8.0.1)

I solved my problem with those steps:

1. Go to “Endnote preferences” (“EndNote” -> “Preferences” or: “cmd” + “,” )
  2. go to “Sync”
  3. klick “EndNote defaults” & close the window
  4. go to “Tools” -> “Sync”
  5. hit the “Sign up” button no matter if you already registered with this account
  6. sign in with your account email + password
  7. et voila: sync was now working fine for me without a blank window which disrupts the syncing progress.

best regrads!

I’m glad others have resolved this issue, however I’m still recieving the blank ‘EndNote Registration’ window with the Sync and Cancel buttons.

If you are seeing a blank Registration screen for Sync, please contact Technical Support:

http://endnote.com/support

OMG thank you, the sync was driving me BONKERS!!!

OMG thank you, that automatic sync was driving me BONKERS!!!