Problems with authorless references in Chicago footnotes

Hi everyone,

I’m having problems with using the Chicago footnote style.

When I put in a citation without an author, the following reference (if it is a repeat reference) does not show the author surname. This is demonstrated in the attached image.

First image: In footnote three I repeat the reference in footnote one. You can see that the second footnote’s reference has no author and the repeat reference in the third foonote does not display the author either.

Second image: I remove the authorless reference in footnote two and footnote three works as intended.

Third image: I use an alternate reference with an author in footnote two, and footnote three works as intended.

Fourth image: I use the authorless reference from the first image but put in a dummy author name (‘a’) and footnote three works as intended.

Why is EndNote struggling so with authorless references?

Thanks for your help

Note: As a workaround I tried entering a space into the ‘Author’ field for the citation without an author, but that didn’t do anything.

Note 2: If you could tell me why the title/short title isn’t showing up in the repeat reference as intended that would be great. My style for ‘Journal Article - Short form’ is: Author, “Title,”| Cited Pages|.

duplicate http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Authorless-reference-problem-with-Chicago-footnotes/m-p/136644#M27077