Question: EndNote for iPad, syncing with desktop library

I’ve been considering purchasing EndNote for iPad but there is one question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to and need to have this answered before I decide whether or not to purchase.

Basically, I’d like my EndNote for iPad to sync with my EndNote X6 on my Mac desktop. I don’t use EndNote Web although I _ understand  _that according to the FAQ, EndNote for iPad needs EndNote Web to sync with EndNote X6 Mac. I _ don’t want _ to subscribe to EndNote Web after the 2 years of free service is up. With a trial version of EndNote Web, will I still be able to sync my EndNote iPad and EndNote X6? With a non-paid version of EndNote Web, is there a limit as to how many references I can sync between EndNote iPad and EndNote X6 for Mac?

It seems that Sente has done this syncing business correcetly and Thomson Reuters has approached is in an odd, user-unfriendly way. Sente allows their iPad app to directly sync with Sente desktop without needing to use a web service. 

The basic EndNote Web subscription - free to everyone - enables synchronization of up to 10,000 meta-data records across platforms - iPad - Web  - Windows - Macintosh. If you want to also synchronize file attachments, you will need a premium subscription [2 year subscription comes as part of the purhcase of EndNote X6]. With the iPad app and a basic account, you can still add and manage file attachments on the iPad device.

Web/cloud based synchronization is the industry standard that companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc all use and is the only reasonable option to connect across multiple platforms and devices.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

@jasonr wrote:

The basic EndNote Web subscription - free to everyone - enables synchronization of up to 10,000 meta-data records across platforms - iPad - Web  - Windows - Macintosh. If you want to also synchronize file attachments, you will need a premium subscription [2 year subscription comes as part of the purhcase of EndNote X6]. With the iPad app and a basic account, you can still add and manage file attachments on the iPad device.

Web/cloud based synchronization is the industry standard that companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc all use and is the only reasonable option to connect across multiple platforms and devices.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Sure, I don’t disagree with that practice. I do, however, disagree with the practice that a no-charge subscription will limit us from syncing PDF files. Instead, limit the storage space then. At the very least, a cloud service like Dropbox could be used. 

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

Jason,

Could you please explain how to get the premium access so that PDF files will sync between the desktop and iPad?  I have purchased Endnote X7 for Mac as well as the Endnote for iPad.  All my references are syncing, but none of the PDF attachments.  I have gone to Endnote Web (or whatever it is called now) and it says I have the Basic version.  There is no indication on the site as to how to get premium.  If I cannot sync PDF files, this is really useless to me and I will go back to Sente or Papers.

Thanks,
Neil