Reference not used in text but appears in the Bibliography

Hi,

I am a real novice and am having all sorts of troubles with Endnote. Am using Endnote X with MS word 2007. The current problem relates to a reference which I have not yet used but it appears in the bibliogrpahy generated in my Word document. Therefore when I am entering the refernce using “insert reference” the reference is being cited as 2000a and the bibliography has two entries of the same reference but with a and b appended to the year.

How do I get rid of the two references in the bibliogrpahy and use the reference in the text?

Hope someone can help.

Woodie

Be sure that the reference is not used in a frame or Text box, but the a, b thing might be because it is being pulled from the travelling library and from the real library. 

Always start by unformating all the references (select all, then unformat references), deleting any remaining bibliography, saving it to a new file and reformat.  When you reformat you will also need to turn CWYW back on, on that manuscript.  This is achieved thru the Format Bibliography menu - the third tab.   (enable or turn on - can’t remember the button’s name on that page). 

@leanne wrote:

Be sure that the reference is not used in a frame or Text box, but the a, b thing might be because it is being pulled from the travelling library and from the real library. 

Always start by unformating all the references (select all, then unformat references), deleting any remaining bibliography, saving it to a new file and reformat.  When you reformat you will also need to turn CWYW back on, on that manuscript.  This is achieved thru the Format Bibliography menu - the third tab.   (enable or turn on - can’t remember the button’s name on that page). 

HI Leanne,

I am not really familiar with Endnote so I am not sure with what you mean in the first para.

The instructions in the second paragraph–does one do that in Word or in Endnote. What do U mean by ‘deleting remaining bibliography’? Could you be more explicit seeing that I am a real novice.

Thanks

In Word.

Thanks Leanne it worked.