Temporary Citations Aren't Replaced

Hello, 

When I use Endnote x9 to input an in text citation on Word 2020, it comes out as a temporary citation. Instant formatting is turned on but they are still temporary citations. 

and what happens if you update manually.  Do you have an endnote style (that exists in your set) selected in the word document?  

Hi, I appreciate the reply!

I’m not sure what you mean by manually update it.

To clarify, my problem is I will have Vancouver style selected in both Endnote and Word, and then sometimes when I insert my selected citation, a temporary citation will appear that does not update into the correct format. This problem is on and off as well. For example, I could be doing the citations fine with no problem, save the doc, log off, and the next day, when I try to resume where I left off, I encounter this problem again. I hope that provides a little more context into the problem.

The previous times the problem resolved itself came randomly after just playing around with it for a bit of time. However, I do quite like Endnote for writing 

Do you have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you for the help.

The behavior is not normal so I would suggest making a backup copy of the document.

You can then use the following steps:

On Windows:

1. Make a backup of your document.
  2. In Word 2010/2013/2016 with Endnote X4 or later , go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
    In Word 2007 with Endnote X1 or later , go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
    In Word 2007 with Endnote X or earlier , go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.
    In Word 2000/2002(XP)/2003 go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.
    This will remove the reference list and revert the citations to a temporary format.
  3. Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything.
  4. Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes.
  5. Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text.
  6. Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste.
  7. On EndNote (version) tab, click on “Update Citations and Bibliography” 

Note: If you have citations in footnotes, you will need to click in the footnotes section and repeat steps 3- 6.

You should now be able to format this cleaned up version of the document without running into problems.

On a Mac:

1. Make a backup of your document.
  2. Word 2008/2011 : Choose the “Tools > EndNote > Unformat Citations” or “Convert to Unformatted Citations” command, which will remove the reference list and revert the citations.
    Word 2016/2019 : Go to the EndNote tab and select the “Tools > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
    This will remove the reference list and revert the citations to a temporary format.
  3. Press [Command]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything. Note: The [Command] key may be identified as the [Apple] key on some keyboards.
  4. Press [Command]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes.
  5. Press [Command]+C to copy the highlighted text.
  6. Open a new document and press [Apple]+V to paste.
  7. Word 2008/2011 : Choose the “Tools” > EndNote > Update Citations and Bibliography
  8. Word 2016/2019: For EndNote X7/X8 : Bibliography drop-down > Update Citations and Bibliography.
  9. Word 2016 : EndNote X9 : EndNote tab > Update Citations and Bibliography
    Note : If you have citations in footnotes, you will need to click in the footnotes section and repeat steps 3- 6.

You should now be able to format this cleaned up version of the document without running into problems.

We have these steps on the website:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Problematic-field-codes-causing-jumping-cursor-the-range-cannot-be-deleted-or-other-problems-while-formatting?language=en_US

If the above does not help to resolve the issue then contact Technical Support directly:

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or
https://endnote.com/contact/

there is an “update citations and bibliography” option on the Endnote ribbon in Word, but Tony’s suggestion to make a backup and clean up the document, is a good one.