Terrible performance EN6 under Mountain Lion

The problem I am having is with Endnote X6 itself, not Cite While You Write. When I click or type to type in Endnote itself, the software is very slow to react.

I previously had X5 installed and had no problems (even with OS 10.8.2). 

Greetings,

For those of you who have installed Mac OS 10.8.2 and are experiencing slowness while working within EndNote, please try this test:

1.  Open your Activity Monitor.  Activity Monitor is found inside a folder called “Utilities”, which is inside your “Applications” folder. 

2.  With the Activity Monitor running, choose “All Processes” from the “Show” drop-down and then sort the display by the “Process Name” column by clicking the column’s label.

3.  After sorting this list by Process Name, look for a process called ‘appleeventsd’.  If you are able to find the appleeventsd process, highlight this entry and click “Quit Process”. 

4.  When you are prompted to confirm this action, press “Force Quit”.

5.  Once appleeventsd has been reset by the Force Quit selection, switch back to EndNote to see if you’re still experiencing slowness.

Please let me know what you find. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

I did not much of testing, but killing this process seems to solve the problem for now despite the fact that it pops up again in the activity log after restarting Endnote (so this will be no definitive cure i guess).

As one can see this process seems to interfere with several other applications as well (simply google it). I am not an expert in this field but it would be interesting to know more about this process.

I had the same problem, but your fix seems to work. I have a MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM running 10.8.2. Previously, I was thinking about switching back to Endnote X5, as the speed issue was really serious. 

Thanks — but will there be a more permanent fix soon?

From a non-Mac user, this sound like Apple’s problem, not Endnotes? 

Does not help I keep getting this message:

EndNote is not responding. Error = -1712

for both x5 and version x6

Please assist

EMAH and matlinn,

I’m glad to hear the Activity Monitor steps have temporarily cured the slowness you’ve encountered.  These steps should definitely be considered a temporary workaround until the issue is addressed by Apple.  If anyone cares to read a technical description of this underlying bug within Apple’s 10.8.2 operating system update, the following blog post outlines the issue:

http://brian-webster.tumblr.com/post/32830692042/a-workaround-for-aesendmessage-hanging-on-os-x-10-8-2

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

endnoteuser20,

Sorry to hear this workaround didn’t help. You may want to try calling our Technical Support department in order to see if you experience a different outcome when walking through the Activity Monitor steps with a Technical Support representative on the line with you:

EndNote Technical Support

800-336-4474

press 4, then 1

Another possible workaround involves temporarily logging out of your user account (which you should be able to do from the Apple drop-down menu) and then logging right back in.  Of course, you would want to save any work before performing these steps. 

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Thomson Reuters
thomsonreuters.com

killing appleeventsd did indeed get ENX6, Word 1.4.2.4 and Mac OS 10.8.2 behaving considering better. Was getting COM errors and today “error = -1712”.

appleeventsd will relaunch at some stage though, after reboot for sure and in my experiments, by quitting Word and starting at again.

Are we waiting for an EndNote update or 10.8.3?

Hello, gchallis:

As you can see in the article that JimmyM posted earlier, the underlying issue is an Apple one, so I’m afraid Apple will have to address it. Here’s that link again, in case you missed it the first time:

http://brian-webster.tumblr.com/post/32830692042/a-workaround-for-aesendmessage-hanging-on-os-x-10-8…

Or, simply Google “-1712 10.8.2” or “appleeventsd 10.8.2” to learn more about this Apple issue. There’s a lot of information out there as the problem affects more than just Word or EndNote.

By the way, another effective means of quitting that process is simply to restart or log on and off your Mac. This solution may be simpler for some users, but both accomplish the same thing.

I hope this helps.

That worked very well. Is there a plan for an update so it doesn’t need to be performed all the time?

As has been mentioned in earlier posts, this is an Apple bug so there will not be an EndNote update for this issue. We have brought this to Apple’s attention through our development channels but I recommend those experiencing this should contact Apple directly too. This can help prioritize the effort. Here’s the link - http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

• Mathilda, the ENdNote team
1 Like

Killing appleeventsd works for me, thanks! I did not even have to quit EndNote.

Having same issue here; quitting appleeventsd solves the problem, at least for now, though hoping that there will be a more durable fix, either from Apple for the bug or from Endnote.

Hello Andyyee,

As Mathilda mentioned in a previous post on this thread, this is an Apple bug and would need to be fixed by them. I would suggest contacting them regarding a fix:  http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thank you,

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Exactly the same problem here, killing the process solved the issue. We can only hope Apple moves their butt, then I will upgrade!

i tried your suggestion and it worked. not sure how long this will last or if i need to repeat it, but for now this is good!

I have the same terrible problem with endnote 6—cannot use it at all–it freezes word.  Get an error -1272.  I did not have that file in the folder so I could not resolve the problem.  If you have any further suggestions would appreciate it.  Please let me know how can disinstall 6 and get back to endnote 5.  I changed thinking that it would improve managing references, never imagined this disaster.  

Hello, Irene:

Did you try simply logging off and back on, or restarting your Mac? This also kills the process, and is an easier resolution for those who are not comfortable with using the Activity Monitor to end processes. Once logged back on, you should no longer receive the -1712 error.

As this is a Mac OS 10.8.2 issue, and not an EndNote or Word issue, I’m afraid rolling back to X5 will not help resolve this. Please see the posts above from Mathilda for a link on how to contact Apple regarding this issue.

I, too, had got the error message when I tried to use the tools in Word 11, but this tactic (force quitting applevents) worked for me. And it’s fine now.