Terrible performance EN6 under Mountain Lion

Hello Andyyee,

As Mathilda mentioned in a previous post on this thread, this is an Apple bug and would need to be fixed by them. I would suggest contacting them regarding a fix:  http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thank you,

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Exactly the same problem here, killing the process solved the issue. We can only hope Apple moves their butt, then I will upgrade!

i tried your suggestion and it worked. not sure how long this will last or if i need to repeat it, but for now this is good!

I have the same terrible problem with endnote 6—cannot use it at all–it freezes word.  Get an error -1272.  I did not have that file in the folder so I could not resolve the problem.  If you have any further suggestions would appreciate it.  Please let me know how can disinstall 6 and get back to endnote 5.  I changed thinking that it would improve managing references, never imagined this disaster.  

Hello, Irene:

Did you try simply logging off and back on, or restarting your Mac? This also kills the process, and is an easier resolution for those who are not comfortable with using the Activity Monitor to end processes. Once logged back on, you should no longer receive the -1712 error.

As this is a Mac OS 10.8.2 issue, and not an EndNote or Word issue, I’m afraid rolling back to X5 will not help resolve this. Please see the posts above from Mathilda for a link on how to contact Apple regarding this issue.

I, too, had got the error message when I tried to use the tools in Word 11, but this tactic (force quitting applevents) worked for me. And it’s fine now.

God awful release in X6.  The proposed fix here works for a little while, but I cannot search online libraries without the ap freezing.  It’s completely unusable.

I’m on band new Macbbook Pro with 16RAM, and OS 10.8.2.

When is this going to be fixed properly?

Hello, drjasonclark:

As previously mentioned, the appleeventsd issue is a Mac OSX 8.2 issue, and as such, you are likely to have the same issues in any version of EndNote, not just X6. Please contact Apple to regarding getting the issue permanently resolved. http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

However, most people experiencing this issue are reporting slowness using the EndNote program and errors in Word, though, not difficulties online searching, so I want to make sure that your searching issues are in fact caused by the appleeventsd issue. If not, we should troubleshoot to see if we can find a permanent resolution for you. Does ending the appleeventsd task in Activity Monitor correct the searching issue, even temporarily? If not, your problems are rooted elsewhere and I recommend contacting our Technical Support directly by phone or email to look for a resolution. http://endnote.com/support/contact-support

I experienced me too the same problem, something I never encountered before with X5. (MacBookPro Retina, OS 10.8.2, 8 Go 1600 MHz DDR3, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7)

I just followed the steps you suggested, and it seems to work so far. Is this something we’ll have to do regularly? At least I have a quick fix to actually be able to work with my EN library.

Thanks!

Until Apple fixes the bug in OS 10.8.2, this is an issue you may encounter from time to time. Here is a link to suggest Apple fix their bug: http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

As stated in an earlier post EN X5, but not X6, works flawlessly without the common performance issue on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on the same computer. So it is seems not to be an OS problem but something must have changed from X5 to X6 to render it incompatible with ML 10.8.2. Has this been fixed in X6.0.1, or is X6 still unusable? I do not dare to upgrade (again) from X5 until I get this information. The Readme file for the updater tells:

Improvements in X6.0.1

* Improved syncing with EndNote Web

So has the (in my mind more urgent) performance problem been solved too?

Hello, dotM:

I’m glad to hear your X6.0.1 update is working better for you, however, no changes were made regarding 10.8 compatibility or this issue. It’s definitely not something we would have kept secret if we had! :slight_smile: The issue is intermittent, so it may just be the process has not yet restarted on your Mac since your update. 

If you do a quick Google search of the appleeventsd process or look at the links I posted earlier in this thread, you will see that it this issue effects more than just EndNote or Word, is definitely a 10.8.2 issue, and therefore must be corrected on the Apple side. 

I truly wish that there were another answer, but for now, all we can do is report the issue to Apple and await their fix, using the workarounds provided in this post in the meantime. 

Have a great day. 

Quitting of appleeventsd makes Endnote X6 go quickly. But this is not a problem with X5. The problem with X5 was that you had to reboot the computer before formatting a Word document. 

How frequently do we have to reset appleeventsd to use Endnote X6?

I use two EndNote 6 databases. One has 6,000 entries and the other has 17,000. I have no speed problems with the smaller database. The larger database is so slow since I switched to EndNote 6 that I am thinking of using Sente instead of EndNote. Sente also has an app which EndNote does not. I do not think EndNote is striving to support Mac users. Simply blaming Apple for problems with EndNote seems unreasonable.

Hello, vdBerg:

It’s interesting that you should say that you didn’t experience this with EndNote X5 – you were lucky! Here in support we have definitely gotten calls showing this issue affecting both versions. It can manifest either as library slowness, errors using CWYW, or both, but the root cause is still the same.

I hope this clarifies a little.

Hello gilliann,

As reported before: NO problems in X5 but with X6 YES – on the same computer. I received an announcement e-mail today about this issue, so obviously the performance problem  is a common problem. As far as I remember, OS X 10.8 was released before EN X6, so it should have been tested appropriately prior to release. Stop blaming others. Developers need to provide software working in a specific environment, not vice versa.

I hope this clarifies a little.

To clarify, this issue with EndNote X6 appeared with the 10.8.2 update, not before. Also, EndNote is not the only application impacted by this appleeventsd issue. You can search and find other applications experiencing the same issue with the 10.8.2 update.

- Tilla, the EndNote team

It must be tough to develop software when the operating system is broken!

@dotM. It’s probably  tough to develop robust software when the operating system is broken!

1 Like

Jimmy,

I’m running Word 2011 and EndNote X6 on OS 10.8.2.  I was having CWYW stall while “Formatting bibliography…” and your suggestion fixed my problem.

Thanks

Alex