Terrible performance EN6 under Mountain Lion

Hello, dotM:

I’m glad to hear your X6.0.1 update is working better for you, however, no changes were made regarding 10.8 compatibility or this issue. It’s definitely not something we would have kept secret if we had! :slight_smile: The issue is intermittent, so it may just be the process has not yet restarted on your Mac since your update. 

If you do a quick Google search of the appleeventsd process or look at the links I posted earlier in this thread, you will see that it this issue effects more than just EndNote or Word, is definitely a 10.8.2 issue, and therefore must be corrected on the Apple side. 

I truly wish that there were another answer, but for now, all we can do is report the issue to Apple and await their fix, using the workarounds provided in this post in the meantime. 

Have a great day. 

Quitting of appleeventsd makes Endnote X6 go quickly. But this is not a problem with X5. The problem with X5 was that you had to reboot the computer before formatting a Word document. 

How frequently do we have to reset appleeventsd to use Endnote X6?

I use two EndNote 6 databases. One has 6,000 entries and the other has 17,000. I have no speed problems with the smaller database. The larger database is so slow since I switched to EndNote 6 that I am thinking of using Sente instead of EndNote. Sente also has an app which EndNote does not. I do not think EndNote is striving to support Mac users. Simply blaming Apple for problems with EndNote seems unreasonable.

Hello, vdBerg:

It’s interesting that you should say that you didn’t experience this with EndNote X5 – you were lucky! Here in support we have definitely gotten calls showing this issue affecting both versions. It can manifest either as library slowness, errors using CWYW, or both, but the root cause is still the same.

I hope this clarifies a little.

Hello gilliann,

As reported before: NO problems in X5 but with X6 YES – on the same computer. I received an announcement e-mail today about this issue, so obviously the performance problem  is a common problem. As far as I remember, OS X 10.8 was released before EN X6, so it should have been tested appropriately prior to release. Stop blaming others. Developers need to provide software working in a specific environment, not vice versa.

I hope this clarifies a little.

To clarify, this issue with EndNote X6 appeared with the 10.8.2 update, not before. Also, EndNote is not the only application impacted by this appleeventsd issue. You can search and find other applications experiencing the same issue with the 10.8.2 update.

- Tilla, the EndNote team

It must be tough to develop software when the operating system is broken!

@dotM. It’s probably  tough to develop robust software when the operating system is broken!

1 Like

Jimmy,

I’m running Word 2011 and EndNote X6 on OS 10.8.2.  I was having CWYW stall while “Formatting bibliography…” and your suggestion fixed my problem.

Thanks

Alex

I’m experiencing a new problem: “Formatting Bibliography” appears on my screen, in a kind of auto-update, and won’t disappear unless I cancel it. Not sure if this is X6 and/or Mtn Lion related, but it’s new and a pain. Turning of “scan for citations” completely makes no difference, ditto “ck for citaiton changes”.

Dear Jimmy

Your suggestion worked like a charm!  After quitting appleeventsd, Endnote X6 is now running at an expected speed and no more 1-2 second delays between keystrokes.

Ok, so now that this has been identified as an issue, what do I do from this point forward, i.e. what is the permanent fix?

Thank you,

Ken

Since this issue is due to a bug in the Macintosh 10.8.2 operating system, a permanent fix would require Apple to release an update. As Mathilda mentioned in a previous post, those experiencing this should contact Apple directly. This can help prioritize the effort. Here is the link to reach Apple - http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Dear Sir

I have bought a copy of EndNote 6 a week ago, and it is not working, all I am getting is a message “Error=-1712”, when I am trying to use it to make a bibiography or just put a citation into a document.

I can read here, that it is a well known problem, and I will have to change some settings somewhere (I have no clue to where).

I bought a Mac, so I do not have to spend my days fixin bugs in systems that I do not understand. I have used Ref.Man. for pc for years without problems, so I expected a programe from the same company would work. But it is clearly not so.

I do not care who is to blame: Thomson Reuters or Apple. When I spend 214$ on a program I expect it to work - and I did not see anything on the EndNote page telling me it does not work on with Mountain Lion.

Please, either send me my money back, or send me a fix.

Yours 

Jens Warfvinge

I have to say that I concur fully with the previous poster’s message. It is astonishing that TR should simply sit back and await a fix from Apple. Why is it that no other program that I use has this problem? As much as I depend on Endnote, this sort of thing makes me want, ever sooner, to drop it for something well programmed like Papers.

I am encountering the same problems: word keeps crashing and EN is not usable. I have tried the appleeventsd, but appleeventsd will relaunch at some stage though. This is very annoying, as the word documents can not be saved or restored. So until there is a bug-fix from TR there is no way to use EN on a MAC.

I dont want to write to apple to discribe a problem, which I dont understand. I just want to use the software, they it is intented to be used.

I expect the software, which is payed for, to work without any problems and not being told to contact the computer manufacturer. Please provide a fix for this problem!

Thanks

I am encountering the same problems: word keeps crashing and EN is not usable. I have tried the appleeventsd workaround, but appleeventsd will relaunch at some stage though. This is very annoying, as the word documents can not be saved or restored. So until there is a bug-fix from TR there is no way to use EN on a MAC.

I dont want to write to apple to describe a problem, which I dont understand. I just want to use the software, the way it is intented to be used.

I expect the software, which is payed for, to work without any problems and not being told to contact the computer manufacturer. Please provide a fix for this problem!

Thanks

I am encounting the same problems: word keeps crashing and EN is not usable. I have tried the appleeventsd workaround, but appleeventsd will relaunch at some stage though. This is very annoying, as the word documents can not be saved or restored. So until there is a bug-fix from TR there is no way to use EN on a MAC.

I dont want to write to apple to describe a problem, which I dont understand. I just want to use the software, the way it is intented to be used.

Thanks

I understand everyone’s frustration with this issue. EndNote was working fine in the OS X 10.8 environment until the 10.8.2 release that introduces this bug. A Web search of “appleeventsd” will reveal several products experiencing this same problem. A quick list of the various products which are experiencing this issue include but are not limited to the following:

iPhoto Library Manager
MailMate, Postbox & GyazMail communicating with SpamSieve
TotalFinder
Applications that use the ODBEditor events
VoodooPad
iTunes
QuickCursor
BBEdit
LaunchBar
Archive Utility
Transmit

I agree that the software you acquired should work, but in this case the product causing this issue is Mac OS X 10.8.2. Until Apple fixes their operating system, these issues will persist with the products mentioned.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

I don’t understand you people. 

Would you complain to Hyundai about a problem with your roads? The car is designed to run on the road, sure. But if the road igets screwed up that is hardly the car’s fault!

Thompson has very reasonably said throughout this thread that they cannot fix an Apple bug, and given plenty of links to back up what they say. They’ve also given two very simple workarounds for dealing with it when it occurs. Now that I know how it takes me all of 10 seconds to kill that appleevent process and get back to work. It’s annoying, but it’s really not a big deal.

The more Apple hears from people that this is an issue, the more likely they are to make a fix. By being stubborn and refusing to report the issue to the right people – i.e. Apple. – you are shooting all of us in the foot. 

While Apple has a responsibility in this and should act on it (sooner then latter), TR has missed the boat in managing this. I am more then pissed at their complete lack of transparency in acknowledging the problem and putting it out there. This is unacceptable. The email we got informing us of the issue was a good 7 weeks into the release of 10.8.2. As of now you can’t find anything on their website warning users about the issue (probably bad PR for them to do it prominently on their website).

As a long-standing user of Endnote, If I ‘d known about the issue with Mountain Lion 10.8.2, I wouldn’t have upgraded my OS. Upon conatcting them, I received a custom tech support email suggesting I downgraded my machine… What a brillant idea :).

I am now stuck with a non-working Endnote (the proposed workaround is unreliable for long work session – i.e try writing a grant with this) and I have opted to work on a windows virtual machine with a PC version of an old Endnote on my Mac. TR should pay for my pain and suffering of using Windows on my Mac (joking).

Having paid more then 1000$ over the years for licenses, I can’t stand no more the hassle of waiting for TR to fix Endnote with patches with every Office release of Mac OS release. If this doesn’t get resolve soon I am moving to Refwork, which is cloud based and free at my University. Endnote is not the only game in town…

So long TR, you’ve lost my trust.