Terrible performance EN6 under Mountain Lion

Hi

I am struggling. X5 has stopped working and I was trialling X6 which also doesn’t work. I am running the latest versions of mountain lion and office 2011. Happy to beta-test. I have a grant deadline at the end of the month.

Looking forward to a patch.

bw

Mark

1 Like

re: I am struggling. X5 has stopped working and I was trialling X6 which also doesn’t work. I am running the latest versions of mountain lion and office 2011. Happy to beta-test. I have a grant deadline at the end of the month.

I am not having major problems with X5 which I have now re-installed on 10.8.2 (Word 2011), in what way has it stopped working? I would try re-installing X5 after removing X6 and then see what happens.

HTH SS

And it now appears to work…

Thank you!

Hello all,

We are currently beta testing a release designed to specifically address the “EndNote is not responding : error -1712” when using EndNote X6 with Word 2011 on OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. No other updates or new functionality will be included in this release.

Before participating in beta testing, you should understand the following:

• EndNote X6.0.1 must already be installed on your Mac and you must be running OS X 10.8.2.
  • The beta release will replace your current version of EndNote X6. Beta releases will time out at the conclusion of the beta cycle and you will need to reinstall X6 (instructions will be provided).
  • Installing the beta release will not change your current preferences (customized reference types, sync, duplicate checking, etc.)
  • While we make every effort to ensure stable beta releases and do perform testing prior to public release, it is not possible to test every “real world” scenario that may occur. By nature, beta software may cause crashes and is not intended for use with time-critical projects.
  • Beta testing should never be performed using “live” customized content (libraries, Word documents, output style files, etc.). Always work with copies of customized content when beta testing.

If you understand the points above and would like to participate, please send an e-mail to rs {dot} betacoordinator {at symbol} Thomson.com that includes your full name and e-mail address plus the serial number of your current version of EndNote (found in Help, About EndNote). We will send further instructions after the e-mail is received.

Best regards,

Sharon

The Thomson Reuters EndNote Team

Just to chime in, EN X6 is horribly slow on windows as well…

EN X6

Win 7 Pro x64

8 GB RAM

dual-core i5

Great news! EndNote X6.0.2 for Mac will be released tentatively on January 28.

This update will include a solution to the performance issues introduced with the OS X 10.8.2 update. This release, from Apple, created an issue for Mac users using Mountain Lion.

We will keep you updated on when it goes live and is ready for installation.

2 Likes

Excellent news! I need to hand in my PhD by the end of summer and endnote is absolutely necessary (no time to migrate to something else and I really don’t want to learn yet another software for referencing).

Will this be a new installation or just a patch that we will need to install on top of our previous installation?

Thanks

Hi

This fixed my problems with EndNote X6 and Word, but I am wondering if there is a better way to let users know.  I teach EndNote classes every week and this is something that will be a problem for many users on my campus.

does any one know if it a problem with X4 too? 

Hello, Leanne:

Yes; since the issue is with the 10.8.2 operating system and not X6 specifically, it can happen with any version of EndNote.

Less than an hour ago I had a customer experiencing this with EndNote X4, Word 2011, and OS 10.8.2, and I’ve also seen it with X5.

I hope that helps!

I only then wonder if a patch for X4 and X5 will also be forth coming.  A lot of our folkes don’t upgrade laptops every cycle…

Please, a patch for X5 would be really useful. I have literally just spoken to a student with X5 and as he’s about to finish his thesis he won’t be upgrading to X6.

Hello all,

The EndNote X6.0.2 patch is now available. You can download it here:

http://endnote.com/downloads/available-updates

Thank you for  your feedback to help us research and fix this problem.

Best regards,

Sharon

The Thomson Reuters EndNote Team

“This updater was unable to find any copies of Endnote that could be updated to Endnote X.6.0.2”

Endnote X6.0.1 is well installed in the application folder

???

Greetings hdupont,

I do apologize for the updating issue you have encountered.  In EndNote itself, if you click the “EndNote X6” menu and choose “About EndNote”, are you showing (Bld 8432)?  If your Bld number is lower than 8432, this would indicate the EndNote X6.0.1 update has not been applied.  In this case, you would want to download and install EndNote X6.0.1 before attempting to install EndNote X6.0.2. 

If you found EndNote’s About screen shows (Bld 8432), you may want to try restarting your machine before attempting to apply the EndNote X6.0.2 update again.  If restarting doesn’t help, you could remove your existing EndNote X6 installation and reinstall using the EndNote X6.0.2 complete installer:

http://endnote.com/x6/EndNoteX6Installer.dmg

If you proceed with the reinstallation process, be sure to have your EndNote X6 product key and/or serial number handy.

Best Regards,
Jimmy M.
Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific
Thomson Reuters
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
ResearchSoft Product Support
thomsonreuters.com

Hi. I’m having the same problem. Just installed X6 on 10.8.2 and it’s a pig. The product is unusable. I tried to use the X6 key to install X5, but no go. I can only run it in demo mode, but its performance seems normal.

This is a MacBook Pro / Retina, which you mentioned. Is there some incompatibility? Is there a fix? If not, I’d like to downgrade to X5.

-Rich

That appears to have completely resolved the problem for me. THANKS!

-Rich

I’ve tried to applie this update from X6.01 to 6.02 and it say it can not find a copy of endnote that can be ugraded.  Any other Mac User have this problem?

Yes I have the same problem. Can it be because I have Word 2008?

This can happen if the Application folder has been modified outside of EndNote, e.g., a clean up program scans and deletes files from EndNote’s application folder. The best thing to do is uninstall X6.0.1 and reinstall the latest version full version of X6.0.2. It’s available here.