What combination of OS X, Endnote, Word just WORKS?

You definitely should not have all those duplicated entries. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Start Word, go to “Word > Preferences” and click on “File Locations.”
  2. If the Startup folder is not set, highlight “Startup” and click on “Modify”. Select the folder Applications : Microsoft Office 2011 : Office : Startup : Word and click “Choose.”
  3. Click “OK” and close Word.

Now, do the following:

1. Browse to the “Applications: EndNote X8: Cite While You Write” folder.
  2. Copy the file “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” by highlighting the file and going to “Edit > Copy.”
  3. Next, browse to the “Applications : Microsoft Office 2011 : Office : Startup : Word” folder.
  4. Delete all the EndNote files here.
  5. Paste the “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” file.
  6. Start Word.

There should now be 3 items for EndNote under Templates and Add-ins in Word:

EndNote Cwyw Commands.dotm (checked)

EndNote online Cwyw Commands.dotm (unchecked)

EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle (checked)

If you see any other files, remove them. When you click OK, see if the EndNote option is under the Tools menu and the toolbar is checked under the View menu > Toolbars.

Thanks for this advice.

I did all that, and achieved the state of the Templates and Add-ins Window specified in your instructions.

Endnote Tools did indeed appear in the Tools menu, when I restarted Word, and the Endnote strip appeared.

However, when I selected ‘Insert citation’ from the Endnote menu in Tools, Word immediately crashed.

Now I have restarted Word, Endnote no longer appears in the Tools menu, and the Templates and Addins window appears as in the attached file.

So what now?

I am grateful for Jason’s detailed advice, which I followed carefully, but as noted in my preceding post it did not solve my problem.

I therefore await further advice on how to get Word for Mac 2011 (14.7.2) working with Endnote 8.2 on OS X 10.13.3 High Sierra, in accordance with the claims made on the compatibility webpage of Endnote 8.2 prior to my purchase.

Meanwhile, one small point: while awaiting further advice, I have been trying to see if anything I can do by way of fiddling with settings might solve this problem (that does work quite often, the only problem is that one often can’t remember exactly what the solution was!).   In the process I seem to have deleted two files, which no longer appear in the Templates and Add-ins window:

EndNote Cwyw Commands.dotm

EndNote online Cwyw Commands.dotm

I do however still have in the window:

EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle

I have tried restarting my Mac in the hope that the two Cwyw items will reappear, but they don’t.   How can I get them back, please?  I am sure they will be needed in the end!

This is of course a minor problem, in comparison with the huge elephant of a problem caused by the fact that (so far at least) Word 2011 and Endnote 8.2 apparently cannot be made to work together on High Sierra.   To solve that, I can only wait patiently for more advice from Jason and his colleagues.

Sorry - I for about five seconds, I inadvertently marked my preceding post as an accepted solution.  Alas, it was nothing of the kind!

I still live in hope.

Hello Christopher,

Please go back to the Word menu and select Preferences. Click on File Locations. Please take a screen capture of this dialog and share that with us. Is your hard drive partitioned? If so, is “Macbook Pro 2018” the partition you are currently using? The .bundle file actually contains the .dotm files that appeared previously. They should appear automatically. In Word, click the Tools menu > Macro > Visual Basic Editor. Does the Editor open or do you receive an error message?

Thanks for continuing your efforts.  I attach the screen grab you request.

To answer your questions:

“The .bundle file actually contains the .dotm files that appeared previously. They should appear automatically.:”  THE DOTM FILES ARE STILL MISSING FROM THE TEMPLATES AND ADD-INS WINDOW.

“Is your hard drive partitioned?” : NO

“In Word, click the Tools menu > Macro > Visual Basic Editor. Does the Editor open or do you receive an error message?”: NOTHING HAPPENS, AND THER IS NO ERROR MESSAGE.

I hope this gives you useful guidance!

Thank you for your answers. We have not been able to reproduce this behavior in-house. Can you verify the Primary language set for your system?

My primary language is English (UK).

But as you can see from the attached screengrab, I do have an interesting selection of other languages as well.

Just to restate my situation: Until about ten days ago, I was running Endnote X7.7.1 and Word 2011 for Mac on a 2011 MacBook Pro under OSX 10.10 Yosemite. Everything worked fine.

Then I bought a new MacBook Pro 2018 running OS X 10.13.3 High Sierra. I migrated all my apps and documents. In no way did I intentionally modify Word or Endnote during that transition (my Word 2011 build is 14.7.2).  Word 2011 continued to work, and Endnote 7.7.1 continued to work. But since the migration, Word and Endnote no longer work through CWYW.

As you know, I have purchased Endnote X8.2 in the hope that it would work where Endnote X7.7.1. It does no better - still no CWYW. Do you currently have a computer running OSX 13.3.3 High Sierra, on which Word 2011 and Endnote (which one?) do cooperate through CWYW? That would at least reassure me that I am not asking for the impossible.

If you have Endnote and Word 2011 working together on an OSX other than 10.13.3, which is it, please?

Yes, I can confirm the EndNote X8.2 tools load for us in Word 2011 (version 14.7.7) on macOS 10.13.3. I have seen language related issues with Word being able to load the EndNote tools before. I’m going to do a test to emulate your language settings just to verify they work. In the meantime, I would suggest trying this simple test.

1. Quit Word.
  2. In EndNote, click the EndNote menu and select Customizer.
  3. De-select the Cite While You Write Component and click Next through the screens.
  4. When that is done, click the EndNote menu again and select Customizer.
  5. Select the Cite While You Write Component and click Next through the screens.
  6. Start Word and see if the correct items are now loading under Templates and Add-ins. If they are, you should be able to click OK and see the EndNote X8 sub-menu under the Tools menu.

If the issue persists, I would test with a new user account:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25796

To follow up, I replicated your System Language settings, but could not duplicate the issue with loading the tools in Word.

In case there is an issue with the “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” file on your system, you can try downloading a replacement for those tools. To do that you can download and install the latest EndNote Cite While Write Installer here. Once that has downloaded, Quit Word and run that file to see if it replaces the tools.

“In case there is an issue with the “EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle” file on your system, you can try downloading a replacement for those tools. To do that you can download and install the latest EndNote Cite While Write Installer here. Once that has downloaded, Quit Word and run that file to see if it replaces the tools.”

That did not help, I am afraid.

" I would suggest trying this simple test.

Quit Word.
In EndNote, click the EndNote menu and select Customizer.
De-select the Cite While You Write Component and click Next through the screens.
When that is done, click the EndNote menu again and select Customizer.
Select the Cite While You Write Component and click Next through the screens.
Start Word and see if the correct items are now loading under Templates and Add-ins. If they are, you should be able to click OK and see the EndNote X8 sub-menu under the Tools menu."

No result from that, either.

BUT:

“If the issue persists, I would test with a new user account:”

I went over to an alternative account.

Word and Endnote worked just fine … weird. Word had the Word 2011 bundle and the Endnote CWYW commands under Templates and Add-ins, all set up and ready. I don’t think I had to customise to get there - it was like that when I got there!

So how can I get them to do that with my normal identity? Which is of course the one I need to work under!

As the issue appears to be due to your computer’s user account, it becomes difficult to troubleshoot. You can try restting the Word preferences:

1.    Quit EndNote, Word and any Microsoft application.
2.    Find and drag the Normal.dotm template to your desktop. This file should typically be in the following folder:
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Application Support : Microsoft : Office : User Templates
      NOTE: Mac OS 10.7 “Lion” and later systems hide the Library folder. To access this folder, please click on the Go menu of your Finder and then press the “Option” key on your keyboard. Library should then appear as an option in the Go menu. Click this and proceed to Application Support : Microsoft : Office : User Templates to find the Normal.dotm file.
3.    Rename this file Abnormal.old
4.    Look for any pre-2008 Normal templates on your computer. Drag them to the desktop and rename. The location would depend on the version of Word:
      For Word 2004 it is Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Documents : Microsoft User Data.
      For Word X it is Microsoft Office X : Templates.
5.    Remove or rename the following files/folders if they exist:
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Containers : com.microsoft.Word
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Preferences : Microsoft:Word Settings (10)
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Preferences : Microsoft:Word Settings (11)
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Preferences: com.Microsoft.Word.plist
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Preferences: Microsoft : Office 2011 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
      Users : [your login name with the house icon] : Library : Preferences : Microsoft : Office 2008 (The entire folder would need to be renamed or removed here)
6.    Empty the Trash.
7.    Relaunch EndNote and then Word.

If this fails to resolve the issue, there are applications out there to assist in repairing issues with permissions and other problems for a user account. Altenatively, you may want to migrate to the fresh user account.

I am currently trying the simpler looking option of migrating to the new account, where I currently have Word 2011 working nicely with Endnote X 8.2.  (As Napoleon’s mother said at his coronation 'well, let’s hope all this lasts …", or words to that effect).

So, I thought about the fact that eventually I shall need to upgrade to Word 2016, since Microsoft no long support Word 2011.  As an experiment, I therefore tried the following:

(a) On the old account, I took out a (monthly) subscription to Office 365, and downloaded it onto the old account.  I asked for it to be available to all computer users.  First (on the old account) I tried using the Endnote X 8.2 customiser.   Started Word 2016: no Endnote tools, or strip.

(b) Went over to the new account, and tried the customiser there.  Started Word 2016: no Endnote tools, or strip.

(c) Cancelled my monthly Office 365 subscription, thoroughly uninstalled all the software (using AppZapper).

(d) Went to the new account, took out a new monthly subscription to Office 365, and downloaded it onto the new account.  Used the customiser.

(e) When I re-opened Word 2011 on the new account, it still had the Endnote tools and strip.

(f) But when I opened Word 2016, it had neither the Endnote tools nor the Endnote strip.  A snapshot of the Templates and Add-ins has the Normal.dotm Document template, and the window contains:

Endnote CWYW Word 16.dotm

Endnote CWYW Word 16.bundle

Both checked.

So to sum up - I have an account with Word 2011, HIgh Sierra and Ennote X8.2 working together.  But If I upgrade to Word 2016, it won’t work with Endnote.

Thanks to Jason and others for all advice I have so far been given on this thread.  

Over the weekend, my lengthy contacts with Apple advisors have led me to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to re-migrate from my old 2011 MacBook Pro to my current 2018 MacBook Pro (after having ’nuked’ the 2018 disk, as the advisor puts it, to ensure a clean start), thus hopefully eliminating any problems that may have arisen with permissions as a result of any imperfections in the earlier migration process.  

If I am lucky, the result of that should be that I end up with Word 2011 and Endnote working harmoniously again.  We shall see!

Because I am travelling, I shan’t be able to do the nuking + new migration until I am back near my old machine in a week’s time.  When I have carried out that process, and hopefully have a pristine clean and permissions-perfect installation, I shall return and report the result.

Keep in mind that with the EndNote X8 installed in Word 2016, there will be no EndNote sub-menu option under Tools and there is no floating toolbar. If you have a new or existing document open and the Word document is wide enough, you would see the EndNote tab in the ribbon as you see in this image.

My goodness, there it is!   Sorry, it never occurred to me that the Endnote tools would not be in the accustomed place … 

So: we have established that:

in a ‘clean’ account running under High Sierra 10.13.3 on my new MacBook Pro 2018, which I created at my first startup (as opposed to an account migrated later from my old MacBook Pro 2011 running Yosemite, that may have imported or created problems by some unknown means), it is possible to start running Endnote X 8.2 with Word 2011 and Word 2016.  They both seem to work equally well, at least initially.  (I say ‘initially’, since I must bear in mind the earlier post by dtoub, who in this thread and elsewhere has flagged up an issue of Endnote X 8.2 starting to run slowly after having been in use for some time.)

I appreciate that I could move over all my work to the ‘clean’ account, and simply abandon the migrated account.  But I am reluctant to do that because of the difficultly of moving a large number of settings, passwords, etc.   I therefore intend to follow the advice of Apple advisors referred to earlier, ‘nuke’ the SDD on my new MacBook Pro 2018, and remigrate from the old machine, in the hope that there will be no glitches this time.  

Then I shall want to install Endnote X 8.2, which will of course have been nuked with all the rest, and hopefully everything will then work like a dream (at least for a while, pace dtoub!).

So, my final query (for a while, I hope) is this:

How to I arrange to redownload and reinstall  my purchase of Endnote X 8.2, when I have nuked it and all the other stuff on this computer, given that I have paid for it?  What details shall I need to provide in order to have the right to do this?

You can find the EndNote installer download here:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Installer-download

You will need your Product Key to complete the installation:

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Locate-your-serial-number-or-product-key

Word 15.38 (i.e. Word 2016 for Mac) and EN 7.7 & 7.8 work just fine. I did have problems with later versions of Word and EN 7.7, so beware!

After a lot of work (which I won’t go into in detail), I would like to report that I now have Endnote 8.2 and Word for Mac 2011 working together on OS X 10.13.3 High Sierra on my new MacBook Pro 2018.

In essence, I had to conduct a remigration (via Time Machine) from my old machine onto a clean reinstall of OS X in a way that ensured that there were no permissions problems.   (Hours and hours online all evening and into in the small hours of the morning with Apple senior advisors to get there.)  Then I resintalled Endnote 8.2, and so far (about 48 hours later) I do not seem to have any problem.

Thanks to Jason and all others who have posted helpfully and patiently on this thread!

Ok