When should we expect EndNote X10 for Mac BETA TESTING with 64-bit support?

When should we expect EndNote X10 for Mac BETA TESTING with 64-bit support?

macOS 10.15 will be available by September 2019 and wil require 64-bit applications, which already run on current macOS version.

1 Like

Hello, @endix ,

We are planning a release for later this year to address 64-bit compatibility; we are developing it now. I can’t say yet if it’ll be a beta first, or just a general EndNote X9 for macOS update. I also can’t yet give an exact release date, but it should be before Apple’s own release, unless Apple changes their usual timing.

As more information becomes available, we will be sharing here and on our EndNote News Twitter feed. 

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the heads up! Looking forward to that.

Note to admins: It is possible to reply messages before login, yet they are lost. I posted the reply above yesterday (without noticing that I was not logged), yet did not show later on. So, I am reposting it again. Besides, clicking “login” on top shows “Safari can’t find the server”. It would be great if those issues were fixed. Thanks.

1 Like

macOS BETA 1 version 10.15 (19A471t) Catalina was released at Apple WWDC on 3rd June 2019 and it does NOT support 32-bit applications. It ONLY supports 64-bit applications. Looking forward to a brand new EndNote X10 supporting 64-bit. Thanks!

One can only hope. In the meantime, I am not going to start any project with EndNote as the documentation database (currently using Bookends). I am not confident EndNote will be ready by the time Catalina releases. If an EndNote 64-bit does release, I worry it will be a rush job and very buggy. Sad, because I actually prefer the EndNote UI. 

1 Like

Be careful-I mentioned the same software you did beccause I switched to it for similar frustrations and was contacted by clarivarate and told I would be banned from the forum if I mentioned any alternative software. Odd, given that there is no such prohibition on Apple forums from mentioning Windows etc, but so be it. 

EndNote is the best bibliographic sofware, hands down. But competition is good, both for users and companies, because it enhances innovation.

Apple pushing out the Catalina OS to millions of us yesterday - not developers, just software-inclined members of the general public (and many many academic users).

Is there an ETA prior to “September” for an ENDNOTE beta compatible with Catalina (i.e., running in 64bit, like all but a handful of commercial apps?) ?

PS: The forum “kudos” system is not working (claims “authentication failed”), and user-posts are rejected half the time with a software error…

1 Like

And it’s now mid september with no updates…

We will be releasing an update to EndNote X9 for MacOS Catalina compatibility before the end of the month.

1 Like

Testing.

Tony,

Many thanks for the update. Looking forward to that!

To Admins (as previously reported); it would be good if that could be fixed:

1. When I enter this forum, click reply and try to post BEFORE login, all message contents are lost. This is a serious bug.

2. When I click to “online login” on TOP-RIGHT SIDE OF WINDOW, Safari says that the server was not found. That should not happen.

3. After deleting “Safari - Preferences - Privacy” cookie for clarivate, I can login, but instead of returning to this forum, it goes to MyEndNoteWeb
    https://www.myendnoteweb.com/EndNoteWeb.html

4. If then I try again, it goes to the general
    https://community.endnote.com
    instead of
    https://community.endnote.com/t5/EndNote-General/bd-p/en-general
    or this particular thread. That should not happen. I have noticed now that there is other login below, on the left side. That is UTTERLY MISLEADING! A single login should be available or a single one with TWO options: this forum (which is expected) and MyEndNoteWeb and even WebOfScience to be complete!!!

System: Safari 12.1.2 (12607.3.10) on macOS 10.12.6 (16G2128) Sierra.

Tony M, your email and prediction of a release by the end of this month is most welcome.  As we await your promised release of a patch, how should we prepare?  Will the update be a fresh install of the application and plugins?  Or will it patch Endnote?  Do we need to remove the old build or will the new update take care of all these things?  I have Endnote X9 on 2 Macs that are presently running MacOS Catalina Public Beta and am typing from my only Mac that I use running MacOS Mojave, which has become my defacto Endnote computer for the time being.  Please help us get back to speed quickly as there are many writing projects and grant applications that are reliant on Endnote and the glacially slow flat footedness of Clarivate has been a profound burden to me and I asume an enormous public relations nightmare for all of you.  

@tmartin wrote:

We will be releasing an update to EndNote X9 for MacOS Catalina compatibility before the end of the month.

Tony M, your email and prediction of a release by the end of this month is most welcome.  As we await your promised release of a patch, how should we prepare?  Will the update be a fresh install of the application and plugins?  Or will it patch Endnote?  Do we need to remove the old build or will the new update take care of all these things?  I have Endnote X9 on 2 Macs that are presently running MacOS Catalina Public Beta and am typing from my only Mac that I use running MacOS Mojave, which has become my defacto Endnote computer for the time being.  Please help us get back to speed quickly as there are many writing projects and grant applications that are reliant on Endnote and the glacially slow flat footedness of Clarivate has been a profound burden to me and I asume an enormous public relations nightmare for all of you.  

@tmartin wrote:

BTW, this reply is my third attempt to post to this forum.  Not sure how and why my posts are not getting through as I am seemingly logged in with proper credentials. 

The upcoming update will be like previous updates to EndNote which do not require an uninstall of the current build. Once the update is released the software will notify you of the update the next time you open EndNote.

If you do run into any issues after the update then please contact Technical Support directly via Phone, Chat or Email. We have all three contact methods on our website.

https://endnote.com/contact/

Tony, Thanks for all the information. It would be great if you could post when the new update becomes available in this thread.

1 Like

RELEASED!!!

Good news - Finally EndNote as 64-bit application available!!!

https://community.endnote.com/t5/EndNote-General/Good-news-Finally-EndNote-as-64-bit-application-available/td-p/153329

1 Like