Will Endnote for Mac x8 Support 64-bit by Fall

Apple announced their 64-bit roadmap YEARS ago. This was not a willy-nilly decision. Apple has legitimate reasons for the move to 100% 64-bit. Their developer documentation clearly describes the reasoning and methodology behind this decision.

99% of the software I manage (~400 Macs) made the change to 64-bit a long time ago (most in 2017). EndNote is one of the only applications lagging behind. From a technical perspective, it will be hard to justify staying behind on operating system versions simply because one 3rd-party software vendor isnt ready to make the change.

This is not a trivial change. Developers were encouraged to start the required development work years ago in preperation for macOS 10.15 Catalina (shipping in fall 2019). Anyone acting surprsed  or angy at Apple has been asleep at the wheel. Please dont fain surprise or shock,  or act like “Apple is being mean to us again!”

My company is running EndNote X8. I’m disapointed (but hardly surprised) that Clarivate hasnt made the move yet. I really hoped that EndNote X9 would be 64-bit but it is still 32-bit.

If EndNote X10 is required for 64-bit (and Clarivate doesnt do it’s due diligence on supporting customers with X9 or X8) then I would have to agree with many of you who are looking for other options…

1 Like