X2.01: the Modes

First of all, thanks for the patch. In my case I use the Mac version.

So the modes are new and surprisingly some kind of confusing. The most wanted thing users wanted and suggested in the forum here was to search a database and than drag it into the references and into custom groups (what I think is a very strong feature). But now I have to switch mode and copy and paste the reference instead of drag and drop it into a custom group of my library because custom groups and my reference are not available in that mode?? There is no sence of that!! Please, is it so difficult to implement a mode that shows all my references and custom/smart groups and in the same time uses an online search so that I can drag and drop the online search results I want??

Nick

You could make “Temporary” library and set up Online mode for that.

Use Local mode for your own library. Then, search online in the temporary library, and drag and drop to your own library.

This patch may create confusion for new users (because you can open many libraries, using different mode for each). But, at least I’m happy to see their effort to implement user’s response in the free Update, not in the costly Upgrade.

Best regards,

This is how I use the new interface.  

I do my search on the globe.  If I am looking for one or more specific references I already know are not in my library, I select them, right click and send them to my main library.

If I am doing a search for a number of papers on a subject and am not sure if some of them are already in my library, I copy them to a new (temporary) library, using the same select/right click, copy to> command -selecting “new” and the default name (so I don’t build up a bunch of random temporary libraries).  Once the temporary ibrary is open, you can also drag and drop to it.  Then I can import this temporary library into my main library, throwing away the duplicates, or putting the duplicates in a duplicate library. This is close to how I did this in the past, anyway. 

On the book icon, copied records are in a temporary group called “copied” and imported records are in a temporary group called “imported”.  These can be selected and dragged into a Custom group.  They can also be selected easily from here, to perform the Find Full text process. 

Yes, I had to modify my technique a bit, but I find this pretty efficient. 

The mandates for the changes to the “Online Search” functionality for EndNote X2.01 were as follows:

-         Resurrect the old “temporary database model” used in many older versions of EndNote. This was requested by a few dozen long-time customers – mainly in these user forums.

-         Keep a unified, integrated workspace interface that is “more modern”. This has been requested by hundreds and hundreds of customers over that past few years and has been validated by expert, third-party usability testing.

EndNote X2.01 successfully does both of the above.

The ability to:

“…all my references and custom/smart groups and in the same time uses an online search so that I can drag and drop the online search results I want.”

is supported in EndNote X2.01 using the “Integrated Library & Online Search” mode as designed.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thank you Jason, for listening to the forum users about the online search mode. So far, I like the new implementation. I wished there are some changes about how duplicates are handled. I hope next updates (or upgrades) address the issue.

I posted a message for the duplicated record issue.

http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-suggest&message.id=132&query.id=2976#M132 

Best regards,

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded to X2.01 (I was pretty happy with X1 until I suddenly lost my search window for some unknown reason).

Anyhow, I am very confused by the online integrated search mode. In principle it’s a great idea but the automatic integration is driving me crazy (there were many profanities uttered when I did my first search of pubmed and it automatically dropped 200 odd references into my main library!!!). I can’t imagine many users would want references automatically put into their database without checking/refining them first?!? 

I’ve read people’s suggestions on using temporary libraries and then copying/moving references into the main library but it seems unnecessarily convoluted to me. Surely, the easiest solution would be to simply have an option to turn off the automatic integration so after I have done a search I can manually drag the references I want into my groups in my main library? This would be the most efficient way of doing an online search and integration into my database as it would only take a single click and drag in a single window. 

I think this is pretty much what Kopernikus79 was suggesting and I note that JasonR is saying this can be done in 2.01 using the integrated library & online search but I haven’t been able to do it without it automatically dumping all the searches into the library. Can anyone please explain to me what I am missing and/or doing wrong??

My thanks in advance!

It seems that my earlier comment may have been accidentally misleading. Here is some clarification:

Using the “Integrated Library & Online Search Mode” [search results are added directly to your EndNote library] - you can drag and drop search results directly into a custom group

Using the “Online Search (Temporary Library)” Mode - to move search results into your EndNote library, you need to use the menu option References > Copy References to… This adds search results into a “Copied References” group in your local EndNote library and from here you can drag records into a custom group.

These options are explained in more detail in the EndNote Help under the “Modes” topic.

If you have other comments or suggestions, always feel free to contact me directly by email or phone.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

jason.rollins@thomsonreuters.com  - 215.823.1721

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Jason.

I don’t feel quite so stupid now!