X7.5.1.1 Update fails

If I install the update, I get the message that no valid installation can be found. This is definitely wrong. Endnote x7.5 is valid installed.

Yours, Ron

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-24 um 09.29.18.jpg

1 Like

I tried on two computers. It failed on one but worked on the other (virtually identical setups). No idea why it failed to detect the previous version (X7.5) and update it :-\

Corentin

1 Like

Thanks Corentin! I tried it on two computers too. It failed on two. :frowning:

Ron

1 Like

I was able to “steal” the update fromm the computer where it worked, but I understand you might not have that option.

Corentin

1 Like

The problem is still there. Is there any recommendation of Thomson Reuters?

Thanks, Ron

1 Like

I have the same problem with every update. Did you obtain your copy of EndNote through a university?

1 Like

No, I have bought Endnote 7 via Alfasoft. 

Thanks, Ron

1 Like

Are you using a Mac or PC? If it’s a Mac, I can tell you what I do to address the problem. I’m not sure how one might perform the work-around on a Windows PC.

On a Mac (proceed at your own risk):

(1) Backup your EndNote files located in the Documents folder (just in case).

(2) Drag the installed copy of EndNote (located in the Applications folder) to Trash. Note : Do not touch the EndNote files in the Documents folder.

(3) Use the original installer to reinstall EndNote.

(4) Once you open EndNote, you should be prompted to update to the newest version. EndNote should now find a valid copy installed and perform the update. Your library and settings should be intact.

This has consistently worked for me, but I’m not sure why it does or why it’s necessary for every update. Perhaps someone from TR could provide some insight.

1 Like

hi there, 

I ve attempted your suggestion but to no avail. I am currently using endnote X7.53 and IOS Sierra. Could the iOS be the cause?

Regards, 

Grace

1 Like

maybe this way is very difficult to follow

1 Like

call tech support people!  Then post what worked for you!  www.endnote.com/support

yeah this is very wrong and not right for this update

This is very difficult to find provide an explanation