X9 repeated error: can't open library (macOS Catalina 10.15.6)

Hi,

I’ve installed Endnote X9 a few times and keep running into the same error on Mac (macOS Catalina 10.15.6). 

I installed Endnote X9, CWYR, and the Kopernio extension in Chrome (the browser I use). When I opened and used it the first time it worked without problem. However, when I closed the application and started using it again (the next day), the library wouldn’t not open. I deinstalled and reinstalled Endnote (deleting all the associated files, and clearing caches using Ccleaner) and it worked again, failing to open the library the next day. Repeat 3 times.

My guess is something happens which corrupts or breaks the file. When I open Endnote, it will run the program. I will get all the standard toolbar options on the top of the screen, but no window will appear and no library will open. When I two-finger click the Endnote application and select the library I get an error message saying Endnote can’t open the library. (I added illustrative screen shots.)

I have tried to search for a solution online, but to no avail. I have tried running the ‘Recover Library…’ command, but nothing happens. 

I have Endnote on PC (Windows 10) as well. It works fine there. I would really like to fix this problem on my Mac though, as it is my mobile option to using it. 

Regards,

Tommy

The issue could be related to where the library is located.

An EndNote library should not be stored or created in a cloud location. Please see the following KB https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Reference-Manager-ProCite-Compatibility-with…

Once you open EndNote and go to File then New you will want to try creating the new library in Applications or even create a folder in Applications called Libraries first.

If you have been using the sync feature you can go to Tools then Sync once the new library is open to pull the references from your online account to this machine.

If you have not been using the sync feature you can go to Tools then Sync on the Windows machine first to add the references to your online account then you can have your references sync between the two machines.

If you continue to have issues then please contact Technical Support directly:

1-800-336-4474 option 4 then 1

or
https://endnote.com/contact/

Cool! It worked so far. I didn’t realize that the documents folder it is automatically saved in is also an iCloud folder. 

Thank you!