end note recognizes every bracket as an in-text citation

Hello hello,

I am a researcher at Monash University who has been using your product since 2011. 

Right now, I am writing a thesis and here is my problem:

End Note recognizes every ( ) as an in-text citation, even when I don’t intend it to.

For example in the following sentence: Uniyal’s research revealed that photo-sharing (26.4%) is the second most popular activity on Facebook after status updates (33%).

And every time I “edit citation” the END NOTE window POPS UP and prompts me to “insert citation” even if I didn’t want to because that’s not what I meant.

Then I tried unformatted citations, but after a while, just got tired of it as well because it gets messy.

If anyone knows of a way to solve this issue, please please please let me know.

I don’t want to ruin my Facebook thesis because of poor citation and referencing.

Thank you.

Jo Leen

Malaysia 

Hello, Jo Leen:

It sounds like the temporary citation delimiters for EndNote may have gotten improperly set to parentheses.

If you are using Windows:

1. Open your document and go to the EndNote toolbar.

2. Click on the small arrow in the corner to the right of the word “Bibliography”.

3. Check your “Temporary citation delimiters.” If these are set to ( and ), this explains your issue. By setting this, you have told EndNote that everything it sees enclosed within ( and ) is a citation. Change these back to the default, { and }, and then click OK.

4. The Select Matching Reference window WILL come up one last time. Click Ignore All.

If you are using Macintosh:

1. Open your document and go to Tools>EndNote.

2. Click on “Format Bibliography,” “Bibliography Settings,” or “Configure Bibliography.” These all lead to the same tool but are named differently depending on your version of EndNote.

3. Check your “Temporary citation delimiters.” If these are set to ( and ), this explains your issue. By setting this, you have told EndNote that everything it sees enclosed within ( and ) is a citation. Change these back to the default, { and }, and then click OK.

4. The Select Matching Reference window WILL come up one last time. Click Ignore All.

Once you complete these steps, EndNote will stop recognizing all parentheses as citations.

Let us know if that does not do the trick. Be sure to mention your version of EndNote and your OS so we can be a little more specific in our instructions.

Have a great day.

Hi Gillian,

Oh yeah, no wonder. I see why now. 

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Regards,

Jo Leen

Hi, I am using Endnote X9 and having the same issue. I am using this on Mac. I checked and my temporary citations are set to { } but it still recognises anything in ( ) as reference. Did not have this issue previously

Can you put the word file into a zip folder and attach it?  Doesn’t have to be the whole document.