how to mix two endnote files together ??

Hi everybody,

I use endnote since two years now, but I still don’t know how I can mix one endnote file into another one…

I want to have a big endnote file that will contain all my references, and I don’t want to re-write all the references…

I tried to use export and import, but it doesn’t work…

any idea to make these manipulation ?

thanks a lot :smileyvery-happy:

You should be able to import one Endnote library into the other, without any export steps ensuring that you turn on the remove duplicates option.  However, the newly imported references will not have the same record numbers, but Endnote is usually clever enough to look for a close match, if you should happen to try and format a paper which used the old imported library.  If already formated, it would just keep the reference it has in the travelling library if it doesn’t find an exact match in the open library, so that isn’t a problem either.  The only problem comes if you want to make a correction to a reference, and then you should delete the old citation from the paper and insert the new one from the library, so the record number matches and it updates the information in the paper. 

Hi,

does this also hold for “minor changes/corrections” to the reference? If theres a minor spelling mistake in the author’s name, this doesn’t change the whole reference number, does it?

At the moment, I’m trying to combine Endnote libraries from my colleagues in order to make one big library out of them. Does this always mean that all of their papers which they’ve written with “their” library will lose their specific “reference numbers” once I’ve imported their libraries into “one big”?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

@unicorn wrote:

does this also hold for “minor changes/corrections” to the reference? If theres a minor spelling mistake in the author’s name, this doesn’t change the whole reference number, does it?

If the change is to the First Authors name, it doesn’t change the record number, but it will mean that the record no longer matches the inserted citation in a document, because endnote matches author name, year and record number (in its default settings).  So a formated manuscript would not be corrected automatically.  It would assume that the reference was no longer in the library and pull the information from the “travelling library” which still has the incorrect spelling for that match.  To avoid this, you need to unformat the reference, fix it and reformat.  You can do this quickly by unformating the whole paper and reformating, and it will prompt with the best match to old citation, with the new one, and you can insert that.  Remember that unformating the whole manuscript, turns off CWYW and you need to reengage it from the third tab of the format bibliography dialog window. 

@unicorn wrote:

At the moment, I’m trying to combine Endnote libraries from my colleagues in order to make one big library out of them. Does this always mean that all of their papers which they’ve written with “their” library will lose their specific “reference numbers” once I’ve imported their libraries into “one big”?

The manuscripts they have already written will not match the new big library, however, if they are formated, they won’t notice as the references will remain there, from the travelling library, if Endnote doesn’t see an exact match of author, year record number (as discussed above).  If they continue to write with the new library, it should resolve “duplicates” from the two libraries, but it is worth checking that.  If you had for example changed a minor spelling of an author in your newly combined library, they wouldn’t be exact matches, and it would appear twice in the reference list.