iPad-app - Import from Ovid-databases

When I import references (journal articles) from Ovid-databases (e.g. PsycINFO or Medline) to the iPad-app many of the fields are missing.

From Medline I only get Author, Title, DOI, Abstract and Database Provider. The Pages-field is also there, but it has information from the wrong field (Electronic Date for Publication).

From PsycINFO I only get Author, Title, DOI, Abstract, Database Provider. The Issue-field is also there, but it has information from the the wrong field (ISSN).

Is there something wrong with the filters? How do I fix this?

This is very likley a limitation of what Ovid is exporting. In our initial beta testing of the EndNote for iPad app, we did see some issues with importing from both Springerlink and SciVerse but saw the same issues with other mobile web browsers so concluded that it was an issue on the data providers end. It could not hurt to reach out to the data providers directly to let them know - hearing from real cusotmers will likely mean more than them hearing from us.

Regardless, we will look into it and report back. 

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

I used Safari (not the Web-button in the EndNote-app) when I imported references from Ovid databases. I have now tried to choose “Open in GoodReader” instead of “Open in EndNote” in Safari. I then chose TXT-viewer in GoodReader to see the .ris-file. All the fields are there, Journal Name, Volume etc. The problem seems to be that the EndNote-app is not able to import the fields.

I have also tried to import using the Web-button in the EndNote-app. When I use the Export option in Ovid, I don’t get the Open In EndNote-button. The only options are Download, Open in Reader, Dismiss. When I choose “Open in Reader” I get a “Sorry, this file type is not currently supported” error message. When I choose Download the file is listed among “Downloads” as .cgi file, and when I click on it I also get a “Sorry, this file type is not currently supported” error message.

Are you able to import these reference from Ovid into EndNote X6 (Windows or Macintosh) and then sync them to the iPad app?

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Yes. I can import them from Ovid on my desktop computer without problems. I use Internet Explorer 9 and EndNote X6. They also sync perfectly from my desktop EndNote-library to EndNote Web, and then to the EndNote iPad-app.