linking word file with endnote library

Hello, I am new to endnote. I have about three chapters of my dissertation written in MS word with references formatted manually (APA 6th ed.). At this point, however, I wish to integrate my word document into endnote. I have been able to import all the references used so far into endnote but I am stuck as to how to sync the word document (with in-text references) with the reference list I imported  into endnote. Do I go back inserting those references back into the text from endnote (which is a lot of work)? A quick help will be appreciated.

1 Like

Once you’ve exported your Word references into Endnote you should be able to convert the original Word in-text citations into Endnote-formatted in-text citations.

As a safeguard use a backup copy of your document before proceeding. Then with your Endnote library open, go to the MS Word toolbar and locate the Endnote tab in the ribbon. Find the option “Convert Citations and Bibliography” and click the pulldown menu. Then click to select “Convert Word Citations to Endnote”. (Refer to attached image.)

1 Like

Many thanks…but it appears not to be working for me. A pop-up that reads “endnote is waiting for user information. Please  switch to the endnote program” always shows at any attempt.

1 Like

The error message might be related to damaged field codes or possibly another issue. Suggest you bypass the forum and contact tech support which may be able to restore your document if it is indeed damaged. Looks like tech support’s “chat” feature is live now so suggest you either chat, call, or email:

Technical support      http://endnote.com/support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)

+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

Login to Chat

1 Like

It sounds to me like you haven’t yet inserted the “endnote fields” into your document, as it is “a lot of work”?  In which case endnote won’t recognize the parenthetical citations as citations.  You do need to link them somehow?  You could try changing them manually to something that looks like a temporary citation, but it is really much better to go thru the document and insert them from endnote to avoid mistakes.  It doesn’t take that long, and from then on, it is a breeze, adding them as you write.  

1 Like

What libraries terakirnya

1 Like