"Cannot edit range" in X7 and X8

Thank you very much! it worked. 

This thing happend after I installed Mendelay

Thank you very much! it worked. 

This thing happend after I installed Mendelay

Thanks it worked

Reading your post John (pls see post above from jfullert) sorted out a horrible error with EndNote ‘‘Can’t edit range’’. I did exactly what John said and it sorted out the error immediately. The error of ‘‘Can’t edit range’’ came up with my Endnote after I signed up and installed Mendeley. For whoever is experiencing the same problem just follow exactly what John said to remove Mendeley’s Add-Ins from Word, Thanks so much John, very much appreciated indeed. 

Just disabling Mendely worked for me. :smiley:

I had the same issue with the software and indeed unticking Mendeley in the Word add-ins solved it!

Thank you ever so much!!

It was amazing! I solved this by uninstalling the Mendeley’s add-in as well.

But … why is that? This is really weird…

It was amazing! I solved this by uninstalling the Mendeley’s add-in as well.

But … why is that? This is really weird…

I Just had the same problem today, and after following these instructions and it worked. 

Thank you for sharing this practical piece of information 

Walter

I Just had the same problem today, and after following these instructions and it worked. 

Thank you for sharing this practical piece of information 

Walter

Just change the style  in your word document. It should be consistent with the previous citation style. Once you change the style it will work and you can change the one you want from the style list. 

This hasn’t worked for me unfortunately. I removed Mendeley as a programme and add-in in Word but I have the same issue with EndNote. 

I mainly use the online version of EndNote but this problem appears with the desktop version as well. Also, I don’t always get a ‘cannot edit range’ error - if I try to add a new reference to a document with existing Endnote reference, it adds them as text within the document, rather than following the selected referencing style. 

Any other suggestions? I’ve also tried ‘repairing’ Word but that didn’t seem to work either.

Thanks. 

– respond on your other new stand alone thread:  can you describe how you add the citations?  – and maybe some screen shots?  Is the Endnote ribbon correctly installed in word?

For me removing the add ins worked for first time. but after opening the word again, the problem continued to exist.

so I went to this path in my computer and removed Mendely.

C:\Users\My username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

It seems to solve the problem.

Hi Mac User,

Using MacOS High Sierra (V 10.13.2.), Endnote X8.2, and Word for Mac (V16.12), I had the same problem.

Just do the following:

1. Within Word go to Tools, then

2. Select Templates and Add-ins, then

3. Unselect the Mendeley Add-in if installed, then

4. Press OK.

If you then try to run Endnote again, it will work just fine. for the tip!

PS: Thank you jfullert for the tip!

I encountered this same error again (months after the earlier notice). I had installed a new update (not developmental version) to Mendeley and when I tried to add a citation from EndNote I got the “cannot edit range” message. I followed the earlier notes (some of which I had written!) and that did not resolve the problem with my citation not being formatted. I followed the steps mentioned and unchecked Mendeley as a Word Add-in and also as a Word template. When I started Word again (or maybe opened my document) I saw a status line message in the left column of Word, something to the effect that Mendeley was formatting citations. However, no citations were formatted and I had added the one citation in the document with EndNote. What worked was opening Mendeley desktop, going to the Tools menu, and uninstalling the Word plug-in. After that, adding new citations in Word worked correctly. (I think the one footnote I had added before, which was still in the temporary citation format as a footnote, was not reformatting even when I had clicked reformat citations. However, I could see a new test footnote format, so I may have deleted my original footnote and then added it back.)

I was using Windows 10 and EndNote X8.2.

I’d like to add that I DO appreciate Mendeley and use it for reading and highlighting pdfs. I like how it works for that purpose and the fact that desktop and online are both good access methods and that desktop installation on different computers synchronize with the online library very well. However, I’m more accustomed to using EndNote for citations and how it works in Word.

Have a nice day
John

Thak you very much, it worked!

As simple as unisntall ms word mendeley add-in on mendeley desktop .

EndNote X8, Microsoft office 365

Thank you very much John. Your advice worked. I feel soooo relieved. 

Hi,

Previously, I have the same problem with you Guy. Then, I followed John’s suggestion. I have uninstalled the Mendeley.

And wow… All of my problem solved suddenly. You can try it and maybe it works.

By the way, thanks a lot, John.

Have a nice day,

Indrayani

Thank you, John! Your method "opening Mendeley desktop, going to the Tools menu and uninstalling the Word plug-in " worked for me! :)