09-30-2020 04:13 AM - edited 09-30-2020 04:32 AM
I've just imported a bunch of references from Web of Science. They all contain authors, article titles, DOIs, etc.
Half of them failed to find full text.
How can I find out why they failed? Wrong DOI, mismatching details??? How can I fix it? I got 41 full texts, 58 failures.
If I search for the DOI from a failed reference, I get a link straight to (for example) ScienceDirect, and I can download the PDF (as I'm on-campus).
How can I find out why they failed?
I would attach an example library (enl file), but "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."
09-30-2020 04:31 AM
The failed papers are probably from subscription journals - these will work when you are on campus as the journal recognised your IP address(es).
If your campus provides a VPN signing in to this may improve the retrieval rate. Otherwise you can ask your library whether they have an openURL resolver (eg SFX, OneCate) and how to authenticate offsite. These details can then be put into the Find Fulltext settings in EndNote's preferences.
Even with this some journals will still fail - we notice this particularly with Cell Press journals via ScienceDirect, but you can always as a last resort download a pdf and manually add it to the record.
Hope this helps.
09-30-2020 04:33 AM - edited 09-30-2020 04:42 AM
I'm on-campus right now, plugged into the campus network. I can go straight to sciencedirect (et al) and it all works.
The vast majority of the failures are ScienceDirect. There are a few society journals that I wouldn't expect to work. I have an OpenURL.
If EndNote gave some feedback as to _why_ they failed, I could attempt to diagnose my issue.