"Object has been deleted" error message

Hi,

I am formatting a paper using the American Association of Artifical Intelligence (AAAI) template (it’s attached). When I generate my bibliography, which should also change the unformated in-text citations to proper formating, I got an error message. I make sure all the citations are unformated and there are no lingering curly braces. I am pretty dilligent about not deleting without using EndNote commands, but I usually work with unformated citations. 

The same error happens when I try to generate a bibliography using just the template. This leads me to believe that there is an error with the template. Please help. You can find the documet here:

http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Templates/aaai.doc

thanks,

pete

1 Like

We need to know the exact version of EndNote you are working with and the platform, please!

1 Like

I’m using EndNote 6 with MS Word 2002 on Windows XP.

thanks,

pete

1 Like

I tested the template using Word 2007 and EndNote X3 and also got the same error message (“Object has been deleted”).  I tried saving the file in different formats and even  copying the content to a new document but nothing worked.  However, inserting citations and formatting a bibliography occurs without a hitch - as long as the template isn’t used.

Ditching this template and developing your own might be the way to go.

1 Like

I too investigated this template which comes from the publisher and is not an Endnote template, with Word2003 and ENX3. I found that there is a footnote in the template which obviously is incompatible with Endnote, creating the object error.  The footnote inserts the copyright statement.  If it is deleted, then everything works fine (apart from loosing the publisher required footnote).  The publisher demands the use of the template, so pkhoosh used an alternative reference package.  Perhaps the developers could look at the template Pkhoosh was using from AAAI and see if they can determine the problem, possibly working with the publisher to make a template  that is compatible? 

1 Like

Hello everyone. Because I still got the same problem after 5 years, I simply solved it temporarily by CUTTING the footnote from the end of the first heading, having endnote add the bibliography and then pasting it where it was. Solved.

2 Likes

Try closing and re-opening the word document.

I just spent an hour with this issue just now, and finally I closed and re-opened my word document and magically the error disappeared. Don’t know why, but it worked for me.

1 Like

Hi, I have been struggling to find a .ens file for AAAI format. I tried using J of Artificial Intelligence and Chicago Author-Date format, but they are not same as what is required for a conference that uses AAAI format. It will be a great help if you can share the style file which I can use.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

In requests like this, it would help to define how the styles don’t match, so we can help you modify them.  

That requires detailed information on the style requirements, usually from the publishers page. (but as a new poster, you won’t be able to paste in a URL, so you should copy the text or say how to locate it verbally).

Afterall, we are just other users like yourself, and we shouldn’t be expected to have to google the instructions to help you.

I guess they are here: http://www.aaai.org/Press/Author/authorguide.php#references 

But you already know how these might differ from the styles you compared, so itemizing those differences will still be helpful and someone can help make the modifications, which is what makes this program so powerful!

(P.S. Leanne is grumpy today, sorry about that)

1 Like

I think it is worth noting that after 10 years - using the AAAI 2019 Word template - the same problem exists and has the same fix.

Cut the Section heading linked to the AAAI copyright notice. Hit Update Citations and Bibliography in Word. Paste Section heading linked to AAAI copyright notice back.