text search within pdf-viewer not working

Search via Search Panel works great! If I use “pdf” & “contains” EndNote searches my 145 documents within 1 second!

But when I want to  search within a .pdf per pdf-viewer find function it doesn’t work. Any Ideas?

best regards

Manuelito

What version of Endnote are you using and is the PDF you’re searching text-based or a scanned image? Make sure you’re updated Endnote and not trying to search a scanned image as there won’t be any text to find. I’m running Endnote version X7.7.1 and using the “Find” command in the PDF viewer works just fine (refer to attached image). However, instead of using the PDF viewer my preference is to view and search PDFs in Adobe Acrobat so have set this program as the default viewer for PDF files.

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. I use EndNote X8. And the .pdf-files are searchable.

The find-function in the .pdf viewer worked some weeks ago very well, but now it’s completely out of order.

Search works fort my files in adobe-acrobat very well. But EndNote should be able too. Its troublesome to change all the time between word, endnote and adobe acrobat.

This is new software, it worked before and now doesn’t. Any more ideas?

best regards 

Manuelito.

Hi!

Thanks for the answer. I use EndNote X8. And the .pdf-files are searchable.

The find-function in the .pdf viewer worked some weeks ago very well, but now it’s completely out of order.

Search works fort my files in adobe-acrobat very well. But EndNote should be able too. Its troublesome to change all the time between word, endnote and adobe acrobat.

This is new software, it worked before and now doesn’t. Any more ideas?

best regards 

Manuelito.

In the meantime I de-installed and re-installed EndNote X8 - but the problem with the .pdf text-search didn’t go away.

best regards

Manuelito

By the way, my operating system is Windows 7.

best regards

Manuelito

The answer of EndNote-Support on my request:

Thank you for contacting Clarivate Analytics Technical Support.

I could certainly understand your situation and I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing.

I am sorry to inform you that we have an ongoing issue with EndNote X8 that searching within the PDF crashes EndNote. We have already reported this to our developers and they are diligently working on it to resolve this issue. Therefore, I am going to forward your comments to our developers in addition to the existing issue. However, I am sorry that I am unable to provide you the exact time frame when this will be resolved. I shall definitely get back to you if I receive any updates from them.

In the mean time, you can try opening the PDF in any third party PDF Viewer application as a workaround.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Regards,

Thanks for posting response from tech support. Hope issue’s resolved asap.

Hi,

I have the same things. The “Find” funstion does’t work. Hope they will fix it very soon. Can’t trace page by page!

Hi everyone,

This issue was fixed by X8.0.1 for Windows, which was released via the EndNote auto updater yesterday, March 14th. Please make sure you update to this latest version by either clicking update when the auto update window appears after you launch EndNote, or by going to Help > Check for updates.

Thanks!
Meredith M.

Thank you for contacting Clarivate Analytics Technical Support. 

When I search the pdf-viewer by enter button, it does not go to the top when it comes to the last word searched in pdf. After manually scroll up of my pdf file, I have to click anywhere so I can search again.

This is a bug for me.

For example, my pdf file are 500 pages. When you go to the end of the file, you must scroll up for searching.

software: EndNote 9.3.3

And also, You cannot check the spelling in the search field. Because if you delete or add a letter, the software automatically puts the cursor at the beginning of the word in Windows version.

x7, x8, x9. how many versions have been released, please notice these errors.

Best regards,

Serdar.