word 2016 crashes with endnote x7.5

Update:

I had some strong contact to the support.

Result: It might be a bug lots of users have. They gave it to the development team and advised to downgrade on Word 15.17. I didn’t try it yet. Maybe it is going to work.

cheers

1 Like

I have the same isssue.

I had word2016 15.19.1.

Still the issue is not solved.

Then I was suggested to go back to 15.17.

Still the same issue.

Sigh,

I am waiting the support team to come back with new solution…

I have the same issue, Word 2016 for Mac crashes every time I try to insert a new reference. This has happened in two different computers, with several Word files and looks like it is some sort of bug. I have followed support instructions, but they didn’t solve the problem.

This is really frustrating after waiting so  long for a compatible version, I still can’t use Endnote for my work!

I have the same issue as well… 

I gave up… I am using both word and endnote through parallel as windows verison… they are much better there…

really frustrating  

The only solution for this is to change to a Windows PC and Word 2016. Very stable and no problems at all.

Very disappointing, Thomson Reuters.

Thomson Reuters support confirmed to me that this is a bug and that they don’t have any estimate of the timeframe to fix it. This leaves no alternative but to give up until they fix the problem. I can’t afford to wait any longer for a version of Endnote that really works with Word 2016 for Mac. This problem is showing up with almost all my files, no matter if it is a simple manuscript with two dozen references or one of my students thesis with hundreds of them. 

I have ported all my databases to Mendeley and I am using it for now as a temporary solution. Endnote has a better interface and more flexible style edition, but it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work at all… If T.R. takes too long to fix this, the temporary solution will become permanent and I will not come back to Endnote. It is very, very frustrating!

I am having the same problem. CWYW works up until I have pages worth of text boxes, images, tables, etc.

I messed around copying and pasting parts of the document that was crashing into a new document to see if I could isolate which component of my document was making Word crash upon trying to update my bibliography and it seemed as though it was the sheer amount of formatting and data that the CWYW plugin had to look through that caused it to crash because the larger the portion of my document I tried to use, the more quickly it crashed. There was an intermediate stage where it would begin to update my bibliography and then crash half-way through.

I have Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac and it is crashing when I try to insert references using the Word plugin. It is a shame that the University of Alabama pays money to Thomson Reuters for half of a product when that money could be spent on products and services that actually benefit graduate students. The school will be getting my negative feedback on the Endnote product.

When will someone take this issue seriously? I am stuck with the same unusable combination of Word for Mac Version 15.19.1 and Endnote 7.5. This really is an unacceptabe level of service. 

I’m having the same problem. It just crashes every time. Can’t really use this thing. Need help. right now!

Hey!

From one minute to the other the bug appeared on my system as well… was using EndNote 7.5.1.1. and Word 2016 15.20. on OSX 10.10.5.

Luckily I was able to download Word 2011 via office 365. With the older version of Word I got it back running.

When will the update be availbale to fix the bug?

Best regards!

I have had some luck using Endnote 7.5.1.1 and Word 2016 (version 15.21.1) when Word is in compatibility mode.

Endnote 7.5.1.1 seemed to work okay with earlier versions of Word 2016 too, as long as Word was in compatibility mode.

Note: I use Mac OS X 10.11.4 on an old Macbook A1181, just in case it makes any difference.

Endnote 7.5.1.1 will still crash, though, maybe once-a-week.

When Endnote does crash you may have to force quit Word and Endnote and reload the Endnote Add-ins. However, until an official fix is released this may have to do, if you want to use Word 2016.

I can attest to the fact that Endnote 7.5.1.1 works flawlessly with Word 2011.

Downgrade if you can. If you can’t downgrade, try out compatibility mode and save your work frequently.

Best wishes, and good luck.

Dear all,

I was getting the same problem with EndNote 7.5 continuosly crashing with Word 2016 in window 10.

I have solved the problem running both endnote and word as administrator.

Best

I’ve been having the same frustrating issues on my laptop with Endnote X7.5 and Word 2016(x64) in Windows 10 x64. After trying all the suggestions bu to no avail, I found a workaround myself:

(1) Tick “Disable hardware graphics acceleration” in Word menu File–>Options–>Advanced–>Display.

(2) Again in Word menu, click Endnote X7–>Preferences, tick off “Enable Instant Formatting on new Word documents”.

After this, you will only see the field code whenever you insert a reference. You can click “Update Citations and Bibliography” after finish your document.

It still crashes once a while, but is kind of usable. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

I have word 2011 for Mac and Endnote 7.5.1.1 and I have the same problem and none of the fixes have worked!

I have exactly the same problem , and I compared your error message to mine, they are nearly identical.

I finally tracked my problem down to a single paragraph, where I had inserted a comment just before the problem started.

I deleted the comment, and the problem disappears.

I have exactly the same problem , and I compared your error message to mine, they are nearly identical.

I finally tracked my problem down to a single paragraph, where I had inserted a comment just before the problem started.

I deleted the comment, and the problem disappears.

already to get solution

Has this issue been resolved? I’m a new Endnote 7.7 user on my Mac (10.10.5) using MS Word version 15.32, and have been impressed with Endnote’s versatility and user-friendliness UNTIL TODAY!

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, no matter when I try to insert a citation into ANY DOCUMENT in MS Word, it crashes!!

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Endnote, played with the preferences in the MS Word Endnote ribbon, and nothing is helping.

PLEASE HELP!! I’m literally handicapped now and unable to progress any of my university assignments…

This is the error message I’m getting, if it’s helpful:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000000)
Date/Time: 2017-03-29 01:32:55 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 15.32.0.170309
Crashed Module Name: UIFoundation
Crashed Module Version: 1.0.0
Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000094928
Blame Module Name: EndNote CWYW Word 2016
Blame Module Version: 17.7.1.11961
Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x58db0ade
Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000035d4
StackHash: ffff9271
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0

I am not sure if this is the same problem I am experiencing.

My Word crashes when I use shortcut ‘Alt+2’ to insert a reference. This crash only happens if I do ‘Alt+2’ in Word, but not in EndNote. I figures, at least in my case, the issue is completely gone with uninstalling/disabling Mendeley’s MS Word plugin.

So, if you have the Mendeley plugin installed, try uninstall it and see if that helps.