word 2016 crashes with endnote x7.5

Hi,

I tested the beta x7.5 with word 2016 on mac. It worked perfectly fine till it crashes when I tried to fill in a new reference. Then I updated on final x7.5 but I have the same problem. I already tried this:

• In Word, in the EndNote tab, click on Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations
  • Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything
  • Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes
  • Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text
  • Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste
  • Now, ensuring that your EndNote library is open, in your new Word document, in the EndNote tab, click on Update Citations and Bibliography

It ist not working. A new installation of word and/or endnote does not help as well. Here is the logfile:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2016-02-04 14:21:57 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application TimeStamp: 0x5690ff6d
Application Version: 15.18.0.160109
Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word
Crashed Module Version: 15.18.0.160109
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00de80bc
Blame Module Name: Microsoft Word
Blame Module Version: 15.18.0.160109
Blame Module TimeStamp: 0x5690ff6d
Blame Module Offset: 0x0000000000de80bc
StachHash: 5116
Application LCID: 1031
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0407
Crashed thread: 0

Can anybody help? I don’t have any solution anymore.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

We are seeing the same thing - crash upon trying to insert a citation.

mark

1 Like

I find that X7.5 only started crashing Word 2016 after I started inserting textboxes into my document. If I don’t have any textboxes, it works just fine. After I instert a textbox, it creashes every time I try to update the bibliography or add a citation.

1 Like

I tried the Beta when I started using office 16, and it crashed word. Word would simply freeze on the welcoming screen and then crash.

Now again, with this “stable” version. I updated endnote and it’s the same problem again. I uninstalled both and installed them again. Don’t think it’s my Word as word functions perfectly normal without endnote’s presence. As soon as I install endnote again, word starts freezing and crashing again.

I posted previously on the forums requesting help, and I have contacted custmoer support in every continent, and still no response from you guys.

PLEASE help and respond to our inquiries! Thank you

1 Like

Did anybody find a solution for this? Endnote is not useable with this bug anymore.

1 Like

Has anyone figured out a fix to this bug? I was able to format my bibliography using the beta version, but once I made the switch to the public version, it crashes everytime I attempt to update my bibliography. 

1 Like

I highly recommend that anyone with this kind of problem, call endnote support.  

Reach someone who can help

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

1 Like

Here are some things I would suggest for troubleshooting this issue:

1. Make sure Microsoft Word/Office 2016 has the latest updates installed. In Word, click on the Word menu and select About Word. Make sure this reads at least version 15.18. If you do not have this version, click on the Help menu and select Check for Updates. Follow the steps to update Word. If the Auto Update is not able to locate latest version for some reason, you can update manually. Please see this article from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3133711

2. Close all documents and create a new blank document in Word. See if you are able to insert a citation without error.

3. Check the location of your library. Click on the Tools menu and select Library Summary:

* Make sure the library is not saved to a cloud storage location such as Dropbox: http://endnote.com/kb/115635

* Make sure the library is stored on the local hard drive and not a remote server for optimal performance.

1. If you are experiencing general issues with your document crashing, you can clean up the field codes by following the steps in this article: http://endnote.com/kb/81143

Note: for Step 2 of those instructions, you would click the EndNote tab and then click the “Tools > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

1. If you have a document that is particularly large or contains a great deal of images, figures and/or tables:

* Click on the View menu and select Draft. This uses less of Word’s memory.

* Click on the Review tab and set the Track Changes option to “No Markup.” The change tracking will still be present in the document; it simply will not be visible. This can also improve performance.

If the issues persist, please contact Technical Support: http://endnote.com/support

1 Like

My copy of Word 2016 (v15.18) also crashed whenever I update the bibliography with Endnote X7.5. This occurred after I followed Jason’s (Admin) instructions as well as the OP’s instructions. Another poster above already mentioned this, but the problem seemed to be caused by a text box in the document. When I removed the text box, the bibliography updated without error. Reintroducing the text box reproduced the crash. Hope this helps the developers troubleshoot this bug…

Rich

1 Like

Update:

I had some strong contact to the support.

Result: It might be a bug lots of users have. They gave it to the development team and advised to downgrade on Word 15.17. I didn’t try it yet. Maybe it is going to work.

cheers

1 Like

I have the same isssue.

I had word2016 15.19.1.

Still the issue is not solved.

Then I was suggested to go back to 15.17.

Still the same issue.

Sigh,

I am waiting the support team to come back with new solution…

I have the same issue, Word 2016 for Mac crashes every time I try to insert a new reference. This has happened in two different computers, with several Word files and looks like it is some sort of bug. I have followed support instructions, but they didn’t solve the problem.

This is really frustrating after waiting so  long for a compatible version, I still can’t use Endnote for my work!

I have the same issue as well… 

I gave up… I am using both word and endnote through parallel as windows verison… they are much better there…

really frustrating  

The only solution for this is to change to a Windows PC and Word 2016. Very stable and no problems at all.

Very disappointing, Thomson Reuters.

Thomson Reuters support confirmed to me that this is a bug and that they don’t have any estimate of the timeframe to fix it. This leaves no alternative but to give up until they fix the problem. I can’t afford to wait any longer for a version of Endnote that really works with Word 2016 for Mac. This problem is showing up with almost all my files, no matter if it is a simple manuscript with two dozen references or one of my students thesis with hundreds of them. 

I have ported all my databases to Mendeley and I am using it for now as a temporary solution. Endnote has a better interface and more flexible style edition, but it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work at all… If T.R. takes too long to fix this, the temporary solution will become permanent and I will not come back to Endnote. It is very, very frustrating!

I am having the same problem. CWYW works up until I have pages worth of text boxes, images, tables, etc.

I messed around copying and pasting parts of the document that was crashing into a new document to see if I could isolate which component of my document was making Word crash upon trying to update my bibliography and it seemed as though it was the sheer amount of formatting and data that the CWYW plugin had to look through that caused it to crash because the larger the portion of my document I tried to use, the more quickly it crashed. There was an intermediate stage where it would begin to update my bibliography and then crash half-way through.

I have Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac and it is crashing when I try to insert references using the Word plugin. It is a shame that the University of Alabama pays money to Thomson Reuters for half of a product when that money could be spent on products and services that actually benefit graduate students. The school will be getting my negative feedback on the Endnote product.

When will someone take this issue seriously? I am stuck with the same unusable combination of Word for Mac Version 15.19.1 and Endnote 7.5. This really is an unacceptabe level of service. 

I’m having the same problem. It just crashes every time. Can’t really use this thing. Need help. right now!

Hey!

From one minute to the other the bug appeared on my system as well… was using EndNote 7.5.1.1. and Word 2016 15.20. on OSX 10.10.5.

Luckily I was able to download Word 2011 via office 365. With the older version of Word I got it back running.

When will the update be availbale to fix the bug?

Best regards!