APA 6th: journal names shown abbreviated in reference list

Dear community,

I am using Endnote X8 with Microsoft Word Professional Plus 2010. I have a question for you:

I am using the style APA 6th, which has “Journal name format: use full journal name” as default. I have not changes this setting. Despite this, some of the journal names in my reference list are shown as abbreviated. For instance, the journal name “Journal of Consulting and Clinical psychology” is shown consistently as "J Consult Clin Psychol". Other names are shown as they should, as full names. 

I can’t figure out why this happens, or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Eirik P. Walderhaug

out of the box, endnote defaults to pull journal names into the terms list from downloaded records from databases.  These are commonly pulled to the wrong “columns”  – I recommend turning off the updating of terms in your preferences, and deleting and starting over with a journal terms list as described in this knowledge base article:  

EndNote: Generate full or abbreviated journal names

https://support.clarivate.com/Endnote/s/article/EndNote-Generate-full-or-abbreviated-journal-names?language=en_US

(in edit, I attached a view of the preferences options, the way I have set them to prevent a new journal from being incorrectly added)

Dear @leanne, I am having the exact same issue with APA 7th for a bunch of long journal names. I unticked the boxes as you showed us but it did not work. Any idea where this could come from ? Many thanks, Regards, Laure

Hi, just found a way to solve this issue, go into Tools - Open Term List - Journal Term List and (in Terms) add your journal with the complete full name to the list. It can happen that you have the journal name appearing twice, you can remove the duplicate and keep the name you need. This worked for me !

1 Like