APA 7th puts entire reference in footnote

Hi there,

This is my first time posting on these forums and I’m having a weird issue that I can’t figure out how to solve. I converted a paper from the APA 6th to the APA 7th style set, and for some reason, when I have in-text citations in footnotes, EndNote keeps converting the in-text citations to the full reference (i.e. how it appears in the Bibliography). I’ve attached some screenshots to show the right-click/dropdown menu, so that even when I select “Keep author only” or “Keep year only,” EndNote just leaves the full reference in. This issue does not happen when I select the APA 6th edition style set. 

I cannot find any support in the APA 7th guidelines to suggest that reference should be expanded like that in footnotes, so I am assuming this is either an EndNote error or a user error. Can anyone help me out? 

How it looks in 7th.jpg
How it should look, how it currently looks in 6th.jpg

1 Like

APA 7th has two formats for footnotes:

https://www.bibliography.com/apa/using-footnotes-in-apa/

One format Content Footnotes would be like the in-text a (author, year) format the other called a Copyright Footnotes would be the full information like the bibliography.

If you want to produce a footnote like in APA 6th you would need to edit the APA 7th style.

In EndNote you can go to Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager > locate the style you are using > Click Edit > go to Templates under Footnotes > here change the setting for Format citations in footnotes to Same as citations > go To File > Save As > (EndNote will not allow you to change the existing style in EndNote but will always apply the change to a copy of the style) Click Save to save the changes to a copy of the style > close the style window.

You can then use the copy of APA 7th in your document.

2 Likes

BRAVO ! online help that actually works - I had the exact same problem and it solved it within 2 minutes - Thankyou so much XX

Cool! I have the same problem. Thanks a lot for sharing the solution! You are the GODDDD